Alignment on lowered OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04SVT

Reaction score
That's more caster than I would have expected, but also a good bit of cross caster. We have .6 degrees of cross caster in the wife's Envoy and I was not happy leaving the alignment rack. Fortunately it doesn't pull one way of the other with that much, but I wouldn't be thrilled with that much cross caster. That said, yours pulls both ways. The alignment implies that it should pull to the left all the time, this was probably done to assist with road crown but I'm not a fan of it. If you do go back, and you like taking corners with enthusiasm in your lowered truck, I'd ask for some negative camber but you may have to give up some caster for it. As for the left and right drift, it's not in the alignment, and I didn't expect it to be.
So if it's not in the alignment, then would it be logical to infer that it must be in the pitman/idler arms, the steering shaft (which doesn't show any wear, it looks like it's been upgraded), or maybe in the tires (doubtful, they are in good shape)?

I think the next logical step is to change the pitman/idler arms.

Yes, I asked them to set the camber at around negative 0.25... as I do like doing some slightly spirited driving in my sport(ier), lowered OBS, for sure! I'll ask them to work on that too, and if it reduces the caster, no problem, I've got plenty.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seconded the cross caster. Proper spec is a mirror image. You've got a 0.8 cross... Get that closer, everything else looks OK

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no expert but, looking at my alignment and the limits for the "green" area, it looks to me your caster is way too much?
You must be registered for see images attach

The green range for our trucks is retarded. More caster more better. Is that 0-1 positive for camber that I see there? Case in point.

04SVT

Reaction score
I'm no expert but, looking at my alignment and the limits for the "green" area, it looks to me your caster is way too much?
You must be registered for see images attach
Yes, clearly it is. Maybe if I can get them to add some negative camber, it will reduce the caster also??

04SVT

Reaction score
Also, doesn't caster work like negative camber when you go into turns, the more the better (up to a point)? Maybe I should at least have them bump up the left caster, to match the right (especially if they say that they can't reduce it any lower than it is)?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It all depends on if you are camber or caster limited. Caster kinda fights with kingpin inclination angle too. Where caster gives negative camber with steering input, kpi takes it away. Kpi isn't linear though, but caster is. Kpi leads caster too. Corvettes run 7+ degrees of caster, so you're not exactly in unrealistic territory.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More caster more better. Is that 0-1 positive for camber that I see there? Case in point.
That's what the Hunter Alignment rack says. My son said I was out of adjustment, even with the knockouts removed. I think he said, if he tries to adjust it any further it would throw out caster, or something like that. He's coming over Monday to help me with the kitchen remodel, I'll ask him again. Like I said, I'm no expert on this stuff, but my truck drives fine :biggrin: