94 k1500 alignment issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your shop is proven incompetent.

Do not trust their "inspection". SOMETHING (maybe several "somethings") had to bend, to get the steering wheel 60 degrees off, after the impact. Whatever bent...may be cracked. If something is cracked, it's a matter of time before catastrophic failure.

You're driving a potential time-bomb.

Assuming something serious happens, a sharp lawyer for "the other side" will find this thread and have evidence that you knew something was wrong.

Good luck in court.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your shop is proven incompetent.

Do not trust their "inspection". SOMETHING (maybe several "somethings") had to bend, to get the steering wheel 60 degrees off, after the impact. Whatever bent...may be cracked. If something is cracked, it's a matter of time before catastrophic failure.

You're driving a potential time-bomb.

Assuming something serious happens, a sharp lawyer for "the other side" will find this thread and have evidence that you knew something was wrong.

Good luck in court.
There are NO cracks. only ONE wheel was turned into the other one when the wheel was straight. Now AFTER the inspection both wheels are turned one way with the wheel straight. I will take the wheels off the front end and do a full inspection of the front end myself right now and take pictures to assure that nothing is cracked.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's wild...Something doesn't add up....
How many full turns does the steering make rom "new" center to left? right?
^^This, Nobody has thought to check the sector shaft in the box and checking usually requires the pitman off.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On another note, the tie rod clamps are not to be tightened /clamped at the sleeve split.The clamp bolt gets offset from the sleeve separation. 35mph is way more than enough to twist the sector shaft, damage is not always limited to the sight of impact. A sector shaft breaking = total loss of control

All these pics and the description of the work done are screaming rank amateur. I wouldn't trust a damn thing they told me.

Last edited:

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^This, Nobody has thought to check the sector shaft in the box and checking usually requires the pitman off.
when the steering wheel is center, 1.5 turns to the right(from center) and 1.5 turns to the left(from center)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think a string alignment would be satisfactory for adjusting the toe?(coming from an alignment tech)
Absolutely. Laser alignments are faster, not necessarily more accurate, especially if the technician is only taught to get it "in spec".

With a handful of cheap parts and a little knowledge, you can do your own alignment. My race team does it all the time at the track. It's just tedious.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYGF7SWwHTk

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With a handful of cheap parts and a little knowledge, you can do your own alignment.
I made a video a while back but was unsure of the theory I had so never posted it.And after, I managed to find 1 video of a guy doing something similar but I got confused by how he was explaining it. Any thoughts on this method. Like what I'm doing wrong or changes,etc I can make to feel good about doing it.? I was pickier when I used this method,that seemed to work well, the video was just a general idea to explain...just flubbed saying toed out...

Still would take it in.... TBH, I took my truck to Firestone to get an alignment after and, it wasn't until after I paid and left that I called them and had them email me my alignment sheet because I had seen them with it on a screen. They didn't even mention my camber was off and not correct on one side and it's probably because I have yet to punch the knockouts for the ca away. But still, they said it was done and sent me on my way with no mention of it....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media