94 k1500 alignment issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s some pictures of the tie rods
You must be registered for see images attach

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need somebody competent to look at this if you are not sure. You don't take chances with with steering. suspension, or brakes. What you are describing doesn't sound normal at all.
honestly I just think i can turn the steering wheel straight then re adjust the tie rods to correct the toe. There’s still a decent amount of threads to adjust the tie rods.caster and camber seem to be within spec so I don’t see how adjusting the tie rods would effect them

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
honestly I just think i can turn the steering wheel straight then re adjust the tie rods to correct the toe. There’s still a decent amount of threads to adjust the tie rods.caster and camber seem to be within spec so I don’t see how adjusting the tie rods would effect them
Unless you have turntables and tram/alignment gauges easier said than done.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i don’t think there’s a difference in alignment specs between 4wd and 2wd

But a competent alignment tech should be able to input the correct info into the computer, right from the start. If he can't even do that:

How can you believe he can check over the suspension, looking for bent parts?

How can you believe he can make the proper adjustments?

When I'm done with my alignments, the tie rod pinch bolts are even, level with the ground, accessible to power tools, and usually the tie rod threads show evidence of having the adjuster sleeve being turned. Evidently this guy can't.
Post 21, pic 1 the bolts are straight up in the air.
Post 21, pic 3 they're staight at you, but look closely and there is zhit still packed into the adjuster sleeve. Even here in New Yuck that stuff comes loose and falls out when adjusted.

Lastly, who slathered the oil all over in those pics? It's on the tie rods, lower controls arms, CV shafts. That's some ridiculous overspray.
And in pic 3, the right side of the sway bar... is it cracked by the sway bar link?

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But a competent alignment tech should be able to input the correct info into the computer, right from the start. If he can't even do that:

How can you believe he can check over the suspension, looking for bent parts?

How can you believe he can make the proper adjustments?

When I'm done with my alignments, the tie rod pinch bolts are even, level with the ground, accessible to power tools, and usually the tie rod threads show evidence of having the adjuster sleeve being turned. Evidently this guy can't.
Post 21, pic 1 the bolts are straight up in the air.
Post 21, pic 3 they're staight at you, but look closely and there is zhit still packed into the adjuster sleeve. Even here in New Yuck that stuff comes loose and falls out when adjusted.

Lastly, who slathered the oil all over in those pics? It's on the tie rods, lower controls arms, CV shafts. That's some ridiculous overspray.
And in pic 3, the right side of the sway bar... is it cracked by the sway bar link?
I’m assuming the shop just sprayed them down with penetrant. I don’t know where it appears to be cracked in the picture. I also know it was Atleast adjusted as the print up shows that toe was adjusted, also one of the wheels before alignment were turned into the other one, in turn chewing up the edges of my tires. Do you think a string alignment would be satisfactory for adjusting the toe?(coming from an alignment tech) I’m just trying to get the wheel straight enough so my blinker will stop turning off

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you consider how far your front tires will turn when you turn your steering wheel from that angle back to centre then you have to realise that it is more than just a slight adjustment needed to correct it. It also isn't a matter of jumping a spline on the steering shaft, or a slight adjustment to the tie rods to correct it, there is a lot more going on here and I hope that you won't be driving it on a public road until you have discovered the full extent of the damage done and corrected it both for your safety and others.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you consider how far your front tires will turn when you turn your steering wheel from that angle back to centre then you have to realise that it is more than just a slight adjustment needed to correct it. It also isn't a matter of jumping a spline on the steering shaft, or a slight adjustment to the tie rods to correct it, there is a lot more going on here and I hope that you won't be driving it on a public road until you have discovered the full extent of the damage done and corrected it both for your safety and others.
There is nothing inherently unsafe with my steering or suspension, the shop checked all the bushings and everything was tight and firm. It doesn’t pull or anything during driving or braking. The only thing that bothers me is my steering wheel because it keeps deactivating my turn signals. If you are referring to me driving with a broken ball joint or something along those lines I can assure you I am not.