94 k1500 alignment issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t trust any assessment, adjustments or opinions from that alignment shop. Your dorked frame being an exclamation point! o_O

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went under there and measured and looked at everything. The only thing i suspect to be bent is the passenger side knuckle. Its hard to tell because its so minimal. The tie rod lengths from center to center is 15 5/8 for the driver side and 15 1/4 for the passenger side. The passenger side is the side that got hit. These measurements are after alignment. I also think the shop kinda bent my frame
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
That appears to be an older incident as it's surface rusted over the impact point. It would have taken an impact like coming down on a rock etc to do that amount of damage to a frame rail.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my 96 aligned Spring of 2022, still tracks straight as an arrow hands free.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "new tires on the rear" is a industry standard that is becoming more prevalent. Best I can tell, it's driven by whack-job lawyers outright paranoid about oversteer, instead of actual vehicle-dynamics engineers.

The front tires of a wrong-wheel drive car do all of the steering, all of the motivation, and about 80% of the braking. The rear tires keep the bumper from dragging. So clearly the front tires are the most important and ought to be in the best condition. But NOOOOooooo, the lawyers are scared to death that the rear-end of the vehicle will swing out uncontrollably.

However, paying for an alignment and it not being correct is an entirely different matter.

First Guess: Nothing but toe is adjustable without additional costs for some kind of alignment "kit", plus labor to install it, plus shop supplies, tax, shipping and "handling" and every other additional charge they can dream up.

Second Guess: The guy actually doing the alignment work cares only that the vehicle is "in spec", not that it performs properly. And test-drives are also becoming a thing of the past. Nobody pays the labor for a test drive, the best you can hope for is that the guy takes your car through the drive-thru at lunch--and pays attention to how it runs/drives.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I felt bad for bringing up a Kia here so deleted the post before I saw any responses.....
I called the shop today to tell them it still pulled to the right and because I noticed the camber on the printout was off.
He acted surprised it pulled and I asked if it should track straight. He said yes but there is no way to adjust camber on the Rondo? I haven't checked yet...

That's the thing, they don't just give out the printed sheet unless you ask for it. I knew I had forgotten to punch out the tabs on my Yukon for the upper control arms when I brought my truck in last year but figured maybe the camber was still good. It wasn't until I left that I called and asked for a printout and saw my camber was off. They never mentioned anything about it...

Same here.... They just send you on your way saying everything is finished..
Guy said probably worn suspension parts but couldn't be specific....
jeez...
Seems a little different than not worrying about painting the inside of your pantry closet above the door because nobody will ever see it....

Attachments

• kia rondo 10_24_23.jpg
    kia rondo 10_24_23.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 6

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It kills me that shops just toe-and-go and don't even try to upsell you on fixing stuff that's actually broken and causing your alignment to be out. A couple months ago I had my Mustang aligned (it sits so low that paying $100 for an alignment is far easier than the DIY method), and a week or so later I started getting some skittishness in the steering. I finally tore it down and found the ball joint was bad. It had to have been showing, but the guy aligning the car never mentioned it. Now I need to take it to get aligned again. Now I need to find another alignment shop., because I obviously can't trust them.

They passed up easy money on the upsell, and not likely because they didn't want to make money, but more likely because they were too lazy to do a quick inspection. That's incompetence.

He said yes but there is no way to adjust camber on the Rondo? I haven't checked yet...
Yes, and no. Most Macpherson strut suspensions have no provisions for adjusting camber unless you install camber plates. There are offset bushings, etc., that you can use to crutch the alignment, but something's bent.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The "new tires on the rear" is a industry standard that is becoming more prevalent. Best I can tell, it's driven by whack-job lawyers outright paranoid about oversteer, instead of actual vehicle-dynamics engineers.

The front tires of a wrong-wheel drive car do all of the steering, all of the motivation, and about 80% of the braking. The rear tires keep the bumper from dragging. So clearly the front tires are the most important and ought to be in the best condition. But NOOOOooooo, the lawyers are scared to death that the rear-end of the vehicle will swing out uncontrollably.

However, paying for an alignment and it not being correct is an entirely different matter.

First Guess: Nothing but toe is adjustable without additional costs for some kind of alignment "kit", plus labor to install it, plus shop supplies, tax, shipping and "handling" and every other additional charge they can dream up.

Second Guess: The guy actually doing the alignment work cares only that the vehicle is "in spec", not that it performs properly. And test-drives are also becoming a thing of the past. Nobody pays the labor for a test drive, the best you can hope for is that the guy takes your car through the drive-thru at lunch--and pays attention to how it runs/drives.
I dont think i mentioned this but they did not charge me for the alignment, they corrected the toe but not the steering wheel being off, they actually corrected the wrong side first to match the toe of the bent side, ill end up just going to an alignment shop when i get the time. Ended up rear ending someone on the way to work in the rain because my brakes locked up and i started sliding. Ended up bending my smoothie bumper to hell. Trucks been more bad than good to me lately.