Alignment on lowered OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04SVT

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
FIrst, apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I haven't quite figured out the site.

My question is are there any special considerations to properly aligning a lowered OBS? I've had mine aligned, but it still kind of drifts a little left (I correct), then drifts a little right (I correct). The front end parts are all brand new.
By special considerations, I'm wondering if the truck needs a little extra toe in, or if it should be set to the max range on camber, or caster?
Hoping to get it completely dialed in and pulling back to center, rather than from one side to the other. BTW, this is all 'slight', but I want to get it 'right'.
TIA

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive been doing just that for the last 11 years. Heres my 2 little ole pennies:

First, definitions.
Caster: what it does:
steering returnability, high caster keeps it straight on the highway, doesnt wear tires. Higher effort when excessive, high wander when near zero to negative.

Camber: positive camber for smooth road manners. Negative camber for quick steering, "race feel". Will wear tires if excessive.

Lowered trucks: I suggest you increase the caster an additional 0.5° to 1°. Somewhere around 4°, even 4.5°
Lose some camber, preferably 0°. +/- a quarter degree. Leave the toe at factory spec, 0.24°

Now, your complaint sounds like memory steer. Holds itself both ways turning left or right? Could be the gear box is too tight.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Front end parts all brand new = I'm wondering the brand and particular line (as some have more than one quality level) and was everything torqued properly and greased after install.

Richard

04SVT

Reaction score
Ive been doing just that for the last 11 years. Heres my 2 little ole pennies:

First, definitions.
Caster: what it does:
steering returnability, high caster keeps it straight on the highway, doesnt wear tires. Higher effort when excessive, high wander when near zero to negative.

Camber: positive camber for smooth road manners. Negative camber for quick steering, "race feel". Will wear tires if excessive.

Lowered trucks: I suggest you increase the caster an additional 0.5° to 1°. Somewhere around 4°, even 4.5°
Lose some camber, preferably 0°. +/- a quarter degree. Leave the toe at factory spec, 0.24°

Now, your complaint sounds like memory steer. Holds itself both ways turning left or right? Could be the gear box is too tight.
Thank you, thank you, Good Sir! Owner error was the cause. I tightened the gear box not long ago, to get rid of some slop, and I over-did it a bit. The steering seems to be much better now. I'll drive it further tomorrow, and get it up on the interstate to make sure.
Mil gracias, amigo!

04SVT

Reaction score
Front end parts all brand new = I'm wondering the brand and particular line (as some have more than one quality level) and was everything torqued properly and greased after install.

Richard
I went with Moog, or whoever bought out that company... can't recall the name. But the product is still top-notch.

04SVT

Reaction score
Well, the problem persists. The truck is still wandering left or right, and I have to gently correct. And this is AFTER another front end alignment. The caster seems to be the only thing that is somewhat our of reguar spec. It was - and still is currently - set at 5.1 left and 5.9 right; they said that was the 'best' they could do. The also said that the recommended range was something like 4.2-4.8, if I remember correctly.

Could this caster setting (both before and after the current alignment) be what's causing the drifting? If I raise the front spring height, could that help get it back in range (I have adjustable Aldan coilovers on the front, so I could easily raise them by 1/2" or so)? Or might the vehicle need different upper control arm bolts in order to get the caster to another 'range'?
Any advice folks could offer would be of great help. I think this may be outside the normal range of alignment jobs that tire and alignment shops usually deal with, and any information or suggestions that I could go in there with would help in getting this worked out.
Best,
Ken

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too much caster is not going to cause that. Check your pitman and idler arms. Have a buddy steer the front end back and forth while you examine those and all the other connections like tie rod ends.