"Alice", my 2002 Silverado 1500HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
So, small update on this girl. Yesterday morning, everything worked perfectly on my way in to work. Went to lunch, and the AC control module decided to flip me the bird, and won't send power to the blower motor. So got a new one in today, and gonna install it after work tomorrow. Also gonna run down every fuse while I'm at it. Also, she's now sitting at 165.5k miles and running fantastically, despite a persistent "PCM communication failure" code that pops up every couple of weeks.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, the LEDs weren't illuminating the inside like the old incandescent bulbs, so I put new incandescents in and she's actually brighter inside somehow. :oops:

I have a similar truck. I've seen guys switch to LED and have issues with dim light output, hyperflash, etc. The issue seems to stem from LED's drawing so little power to "turn on" that they never get fully juiced up. There are solutions that involve more wiring and resistors or whatever but one simple trick that seems to work is to leave one incandescent bulb in place so that it will draw the full 12 volts (or close to it) and thus the entire circuit of lights are getting full voltage. You might give that a try if you really want to use the LED's.

Also, is your truck 2WD or 4WD?

Dravec

Reaction score
I have a similar truck. I've seen guys switch to LED and have issues with dim light output, hyperflash, etc. The issue seems to stem from LED's drawing so little power to "turn on" that they never get fully juiced up. There are solutions that involve more wiring and resistors or whatever but one simple trick that seems to work is to leave one incandescent bulb in place so that it will draw the full 12 volts (or close to it) and thus the entire circuit of lights are getting full voltage. You might give that a try if you really want to use the LED's.

Also, is your truck 2WD or 4WD?
2WD unfortunately. Although I'm seriously considering finding a 4WD frame to rebuild and swap under her. Purely because of sentimental reasons. I know it would be thousands of dollars cheaper to just find a 4WD instead, but this was my Grandpa's truck from the time I was 13 until he passed away a few years ago. Plus, he had always wished the truck had been 4WD, and we had talked about what would be involved in making it into one.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
2WD unfortunately. Although I'm seriously considering finding a 4WD frame to rebuild and swap under her. Purely because of sentimental reasons. I know it would be thousands of dollars cheaper to just find a 4WD instead, but this was my Grandpa's truck from the time I was 13 until he passed away a few years ago. Plus, he had always wished the truck had been 4WD, and we had talked about what would be involved in making it into one.
I totally get the sentimental aspect, I have a couple of those myself. Personally, I think a 2WD truck makes for a great pickup with less maintenance and less stuff to break but it wouldn't be terribly hard to do that swap if you decided to go that route. Either way it's a nice pickup for sure and I, too, love the old man champagne color. Here's a pic of mine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dravec

Reaction score
I know it's probably a long shot on this forum, but does anyone know if the tail lights off of the 3500 dually will fit a non dually bed? They have the plastic protector layer on the outside. And I like the way they look.

Attachments

• 11-6082-00_1.jpg
    11-6082-00_1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I know it's probably a long shot on this forum, but does anyone know if the tail lights off of the 3500 dually will fit a non dually bed? They have the plastic protector layer on the outside. And I like the way they look.
I think, on the 800s, that as long as you're changing the lights on a pickup, to another fleetside pickup, they interchange. That generation is where GM decided to start having different taillights for the different styles of trucks and SUVs.
I know the Denali used different tails than the pickup, and the Sportside ones are unique to them. Then the next generation after the 800, is when GMCs start having different taillights than Chevys.