97 C1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Urban Cowboy

Reaction score
Sorry I don't know why I was talking about tbi heads.

You'll need to check for push rod length for that cam to get the correct push rods.

Any flat tappet lifters will work.

For the springs use any beehive spring and completely cams retainers.

Then just a good single row timing chain.

Then you'll need a 3500 stall for what ever transmission you're running.

If you're gonna run efi you need to have the computer tuned for that cam.

It's been so long since I run that cam I can't remember what all i had to do. But I know I didn't run a 3500 stall I just ran the stock one because I didn't care.

But don't do that unless you like your truck to idle down the road at 1500.

I don't know exactly what you are running right now so it's hard to say.

Now of you're looking for a good towing cam I'd run the summit 1103 or L-79 cam both those cams work great with a stock torque converter.

I'm getting ready to swap my l31 cam over to a summit 1103 cam this cam will work with the stock springs as long as you don't rev it too high and they ain't worn out.
3500 stall for a daily driver?
I had one of those for all of one day, because the in town driveability was terrible. This was after I specifically told the transmission shop that I wanted a 2200 stall converter.
I made them put in the 2200 and it was a whole different experience, smooth driving in town, and fuel mileage wasn't bad either at 20mpg on the highway, with a 425HP engine. I was running a 400 cubic inch small block with aluminum heads, headers, and Edelbrock dual plane intake.
Raced it at our 1/8th mile drag strip and it would beat stock camaros and corvettes with that 2200 stall converter.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torque converters are tricky. Cheap high-stall converters are a mess to drive. Exactly like you said.

However, a "tight" 3500-stall converter can have very nice street manners, but won't be mass-market, and won't be cheap.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Torque converters are tricky. Cheap high-stall converters are a mess to drive. Exactly like you said.

However, a "tight" 3500-stall converter can have very nice street manners, but won't be mass-market, and won't be cheap.

Agreed, you would never believe the converter in my van flashes ~2,900 rpm driving it at part throttle. Even at 750 rpm when you let off the brake it wants to drive forward.