97 C1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to get little more power out of my motor and I want to put a cam in. Anyone know a good cam for a stock motor or maybe a good top end kit that isn't too expensive? Also anything that can get more power out of the 5.7.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've done this before.

Ported vortec heads
Melling 22280 cam (lt4 hot cam clone) holley seath ram intake
With walboro 255
With that it's over 400 hp easy. But this is pretty expensive. I did this for almost 2k

Another one done one for cheaper is
Holley 650 double pumper from Facebook marketplace.

350/375hp cam. 480/480 lift 109 lobe sep etc
Ported vortec heads. I think it made almost 400 it was high 390s
I did all that for about 700. Take a pick or mix and match. It just all depends on how you want to go. Now if I ever go fuel injection again it's gonna be tuned port.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What duration would you recommend for a 480/480 lift.
That cam is actually pretty street friendly. It's only got a duration of 232/232 of actual. I forget what the advertised duration is.

A cheap cam with the same grind is the melling 22301 cam. I think I seen it around here for 120. Make sure you change springs and you might have to go with different push rods.

Now if you have a set of tbi heads I'd port them.
Tbi heads are good low end torque heads once you get them ported.

Last edited:

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I don't know why I was talking about tbi heads.

You'll need to check for push rod length for that cam to get the correct push rods.

Any flat tappet lifters will work.

For the springs use any beehive spring and completely cams retainers.

Then just a good single row timing chain.

Then you'll need a 3500 stall for what ever transmission you're running.

If you're gonna run efi you need to have the computer tuned for that cam.

It's been so long since I run that cam I can't remember what all i had to do. But I know I didn't run a 3500 stall I just ran the stock one because I didn't care.

But don't do that unless you like your truck to idle down the road at 1500.

I don't know exactly what you are running right now so it's hard to say.

Now of you're looking for a good towing cam I'd run the summit 1103 or L-79 cam both those cams work great with a stock torque converter.

I'm getting ready to swap my l31 cam over to a summit 1103 cam this cam will work with the stock springs as long as you don't rev it too high and they ain't worn out.

Last edited: