97 5.7 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey yall, I came to this thread today for opinions on a good top end kit or just a good build for the 5.7 vortec. My truck is a 97 so it does have fuel injection and a computer. I was just wanting to get some good horsepower out of my 5.7. Not worried about price just yet I'm just wanting to know how much a good 5.7 build would cost. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big question is if you're willing to replace the heads. If so, budget about $3000. Your Vortec heads are the best factory heads, but run out of steam at about 5000 rpm.

Heads - $1100
Cam - $300 * Call your favorite cam company for a recommendation. Asking a forum for a recommendation is a good way to get a mismatched cam *
Headers - $300 - 2wd or 4wd?
Exhaust - $800

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I already have headers and exhaust. just got out of the exhaust shop and it's 2wd. I like the factory heads but I was thinking maybe a cam (like you said) and upgrade springs, rod caps, rods, and lifters.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the big question is if you want to spend the money on good heads. 350-400 hp is achievable with stock Vortec heads. You'd probably need to port them to get to 450 hp, but a set of AFR heads is less than $1200. You could probably go with the factory Vortec injection, but you'd need a tune. I'd take the time to port the manifold.

On WCJr, I put LS2/LS6 beehive springs on my stock Vortec heads with Comp Cams 787-16 retainers. With umbrella seals I'm able to run up to .530" lift, which is a fair bit more than the Vortecs can even use. I put a healthy Lunati cam (.507/,515, 211/219°, 112) in it and roller rockers. The factory TBI couldn't handle the cam, so I ditched it and went with a Sniper, which meant upgrading the intake manifold.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanna try to make power with the factory heads. I'll definitely change springs and retainers for a new cam. I'd port the heads and manifold if I knew how lol.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I were to buy heads what do you recommend. I want good heads if I buy some but I really don't wanna spend 1000 on some heads if I'm only aiming for 400 maybe 450 horsepower. I am going to get a cam no matter if I stick with factory heads or not and beehive springs with different retainers.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd port the heads and manifold if I knew how lol.
Porting's not hard, it's just labor-intensive, and you have to do each task eight times. I would just do a cleanup port. Clean up the parting lines and casting flash. Blend the transitions where they weren't cut smooth. Thin and smooth the valve guide. Check for core shift and try and straighten it out if you have any. Clean up the combustion chamber. Done.

I shot video the last time I ported heads, because it's easier than people think.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ObsGus