97 5.7 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have recommendations on heads that are maybe 500 dollars because I'm not gonna spend 1000 dollars on head that I'm only gonna use for 400 to 450 horsepower.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"only 400-450hp"?!?! lol
You can get to 400hp with slightly modified vortec heads and an aggressive cam, but its not going to be great. The cheapest way to get to 400-450hp is with a good cylinder head, and the best value you are likely to get will be some AFR enforcer heads. You can get some ones form Skip white that have good components for about $1100. They also have smaller chambers that will bump your compression up enough to get to your power goal with a reasonable cam that will be actually drivable in a truck. The vortec style replacements with some decent flow improvements are iron and ~$700, so for the price difference you are much better off with the AFR's.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol the only reason I want 400 to 450 hp is because its my daily driver and I just want to add a little more ponies to my motor and I've also been wanting to rebuild my motor anyway so thats why I came here for recommendations.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a good video from Holdener about exactly what you are talking about and why the best, easiest, cheapest solution to get to 400hp is heads and cam. You won't get there with the stock heads.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

A good street cam and vortec heads got about 350hp and good torque. Once they went to the cheap aluminum heads with smaller chambers, they got that bumped up to 415hp and over 400 ft-lbs of torque for a good portion of the curve.