90-1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheezebandit

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always used Fel-Pro head gaskets and have never had short ear issues. The last set was about three years ago when I built my latest 355. If you run a PCV and you're getting a lot of oil into your intake you've got ring problems. Another way to get positive crankcase ventilation is by using gulp valves plumbed into the exhaust,forced induction guys use that trick. Positive pressure in the bottom of the motor hurts HP by holding pressure against the bottom of the pistons and I don't think you're a guy that wants to lose any horses.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cheezebandit

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work. I do have to ask, what's the purpose of the truck? Is the splitter for real performance or for show? A splitter does nothing if it doesn't extend past the bumper. Any downforce created is lost when the split air pushes up on the bottom of the bumper. If you want more work to do you could always french the bumper. The spec I've heard is that you want the splitter 2" forward of everything above it.

End plates make a splitter much more effective. They can be 3D printed - all they have to do is keep the air from spilling off the end of the splitter.

Then he shouldn't have sold it. Trucks aren't sentimental, people are. The truck doesn't care. You do you.
The splitter currently sticks out 2 inches past the bumper. if I slot the holes it can be pushed further forward. I honestly stopped working on the splitter. at the current height of the truck it scrapes on bumps. I am going to need to make a lower air dam, valence, whatever its called, that is shorter than the factory piece to essentially raise the splitter up. I didn't want to keep wasting time making end plates and canards for something that is going to change sooner than later.

The truck was a 2/4 drop. since I am in the process of swapping to a coilover set up it just seemed fruitless to continue making parts I am going to throw away.

I built the parts with the intention of being functional. the hood vents are set back just behind the radiator to help draw air through. The rear spoiler is a couple of bolts and brackets away from an angle of attack change. I have a really good idea for a rear diffuser. possibly doing a flat floor. and front fender vents are a maybe if I can make some look good and be functional.

The truck doesnt have a "purpose". I want it to look like it was built on purpose. look different than 99% and be able to back up the look if I want. It would be nice to race it when I get it sorted further. we'll see...

"Then he shouldn't have sold it. Trucks aren't sentimental, people are. The truck doesn't care. You do you."

I 100% agree with your statement on sentimental attachment. I just told the guy "I like it just the way it is". He was willing to sell it so it couldn't have meant that much to him in my opinion.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used MLS head gaskets on a passenger vehicle. I have used the old single layer head shims on small blocks when I was going for high compression. The Fel-Pro head gaskets I use are the regular ol .040 thick composites. Wonder if the oil leakage is coming out from between the layers up there in the corners as well as the ears being too short.
Hmm,gonna do some vestigatin.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used MLS head gaskets on a passenger vehicle. I have used the old single layer head shims on small blocks when I was going for high compression. The Fel-Pro head gaskets I use are the regular ol .040 thick composites. Wonder if the oil leakage is coming out from between the layers up there in the corners as well as the ears being too short.
Hmm,gonna do some vestigatin.
Looked them up,blew up the image,not impressed!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a really good idea for a rear diffuser. possibly doing a flat floor. and front fender vents are a maybe if I can make some look good and be functional.
A flat floor and a diffuser is overkill for a street truck. If you're going that far, I'd start with a lighter chassis or a custom frame. Fender vents are trendy, but there's a much easier way to do it. Here's my team's race car at Houston just over a year ago. If you notice, we cut back the lower edge of the backside of the wheel opening. That lets air escape without forcing it under the car or having to funnel through dinky fender vents.

Also, here's a cheap trick: we use aluminum hex tubing, cut it to length, and tap the ends to use hardware store eyebolts. Get half normal thread and half left-hand thread and you can unlock the adjusting nuts on your wing/splitter and turn the hex with a wrench to adjust the angle. I can't remember where we get the brackets that we rivet to the body and splitter, but you could use some aluminum U channel and cut it to shape.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got caught up on this build.
Don't worry about what others think.
While it's not my style, doesn't mean I don't dig it!
Some people are not going to like what I end up doing with mine, and that's OK. That's why we do what we do, these are all just extensions of our personalities.
Definitely jealous of the QA1 rear set up!!!
Don't worry about the build slowing down, it happens. Any progress is progress.
Keep up the good work.

Cheezebandit

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A flat floor and a diffuser is overkill for a street truck. If you're going that far, I'd start with a lighter chassis or a custom frame. Fender vents are trendy, but there's a much easier way to do it. Here's my team's race car at Houston just over a year ago. If you notice, we cut back the lower edge of the backside of the wheel opening. That lets air escape without forcing it under the car or having to funnel through dinky fender vents.

Also, here's a cheap trick: we use aluminum hex tubing, cut it to length, and tap the ends to use hardware store eyebolts. Get half normal thread and half left-hand thread and you can unlock the adjusting nuts on your wing/splitter and turn the hex with a wrench to adjust the angle. I can't remember where we get the brackets that we rivet to the body and splitter, but you could use some aluminum U channel and cut it to shape.
It's absolutely overkill, but that's more of a selling point than a deterrent lol. In honestly I don't NEED a front splitter or hood vents.

Solid advice on the strut parts.

Cheezebandit

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got caught up on this build.
Don't worry about what others think.
While it's not my style, doesn't mean I don't dig it!
Some people are not going to like what I end up doing with mine, and that's OK. That's why we do what we do, these are all just extensions of our personalities.
Definitely jealous of the QA1 rear set up!!!
Don't worry about the build slowing down, it happens. Any progress is progress.
Keep up the good work.
Qa1 rear is coming along still, it was a bit of a surprise to me too, I wasn't expecting to buy it and just sort of yolo'ed it

I honestly don't care what anyone thinks about my build choices. Some won't understand, some might.

There is a shop near me that builds amazing pro touring cars, sort of took inspiration from their stuff. I'm not easily detoured from the look and function I have in my head. Again some will get it, some won't.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still hear about things from 15 years ago lol
I did one sheet of drywall on the ceiling at our old house with woman, she then said call your dad!!! Lol
Pretty much the last time we did anything like that.
And ya, she's brought it up occasionally over the years. I think she'd make a good plumber, always bringing up old $hit!!! Lol