88-98 4x4 lower control arm compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueWolf

Reaction score
I get most of my parts from Amazon because of free shipping & return, but for special parts like Kryptonite or Cognito your always paying s&h from anywhere and for returns, so make sure the parts will work or hopefully it's the seller's fault.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are three types of lower control arms,2 are stamped and are either (rivet or press in)

the forged control arms are an upgrade and can be bought with with these part numbers# 512-01592L 512-01591R got a set for 139$ and installed them,the stamped steel lca's part numbers are 512-01594L 512-01593R i got mine from ebay,there also on justparts
I went through a similar struggle with my 88 k1500 - difficult to find LCAs anywhere - Wish i would have been on this forum before! I ripped mine out and sent them to machine shop to put the bushings in after i got tired drilling out the riveted ball joints on my stamped LCAs (sucked). Also I replaced all the Suspension parts but bought from Amazon (ARRRGGGHHHH!!!) and there was SEVERE automotive repair language utilized when the nuts on the balljoints etc stripped out as i tried snugging them up. I had to order a decent set (moog) from RockAuto (Awesome) and those worked great. Steering had significant play but I installed a borgenson steering shaft/rag joint and it drives nice now. I dont buy anything for the vehicle from Amazon anymore unless its something really generic and non-critical. If i get really desperate for something i cant find or it is mission critical i buy from Loves My Cash... :)

Last edited:

Dokken10

Reaction score
Lets get back to the subject at hand. Thanks.

As you can see the metal inboard of the bushing is different, that is making it difficult to get good measurements.

This is why I decided to temp install them (meaning on jacks not assemble everything and drive it around) and use a plum bob and I probably just need a tape measure/scale and see if the balljoint falls in the same spot or not.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dokken10

Reaction score
I went through a similar struggle with my 88 k1500 - difficult to find LCAs anywhere - Wish i would have been on this forum before! I ripped mine out and sent them to machine shop to put the bushings in after i got tired drilling out the riveted ball joints on my stamped LCAs (sucked). Also I replaced all the Suspension parts but bought from Amazon (ARRRGGGHHHH!!!) and there was SEVERE automotive repair language utilized when the nuts on the balljoints etc stripped out as i tried snugging them up. I had to order a decent set (moog) from RockAuto (Awesome) and those worked great. Steering had significant play but I installed a borgenson steering shaft/rag joint and it drives nice now. I dont buy anything for the vehicle from Amazon anymore unless its something really generic and non-critical. If i get really desperate for something i cant find or it is mission critical i buy from Loves My Cash... :)
I'm replacing dam near everything suspension, steering, brakes. Moog and ACDelco parts mainly.

Those balljoint steel rivets are a real pain. I'm an aircraft mechanic and have done a lot of drilling out of rivets over my 30 years working on aircraft. My old arm was sore after drilling out all 8 of them. That night I did a google search to see if anyone was making these yet, I looked about a year ago but found nothing. That is when I found these Astro/Safari AWD worked. I don't trust everything on the internet but I gave it a shot. They might work for the 88-95s but it looks like the 96-99 need a lot of grinding to the arm and the knuckle. I believe GM made changes in 96. I went with a new steering shaft also. While I'm replacing the gear box and pump why not.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m wondering if he has some other ball joints. I have done this to two trucks with no problems. Mine and a coworker’s truck. I had my alignment set a 0 camber so my tires would wear better.

Dokken10

Reaction score
I’m wondering if he has some other ball joints. I have done this to two trucks with no problems. Mine and a coworker’s truck. I had my alignment set a 0 camber so my tires would wear better.
Other ball joints that came installed in the Moog Astro arms?

Dokken10

Reaction score
I'm not going off the ball joint I'm comparing the 4 bj mount holes and the half round cutouts on the arm.

So the shop that did your alignment had no issues getting into spec?

Dokken10

Reaction score
Moog K6291 ball joint is called out for the 95 Astro and 95 trucks/tahoe. I guess its possible but I doubt Moog or GM installed a different balljoint.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF I kept those LCA’s(to me they don’t look as beefy as the original’s), I would use a different ball joint anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.