88-98 4x4 lower control arm compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm not sure Mevotech makes anything at all. When I researched them quite some time ago, I was under the impression that manufacturing was farmed out. The upper ball joints are the one TTX product that I'll consider buying. I do like the plate with the studs in it, but I what I really like is the secured boots. When I was shopping for ball joints, I passed on the Moog uppers, since they didn't have boots that are secured. I do have Moog for lowers and tie-rods. I think my uppers are ACDelco Advantage.... I wasn't going to spend a lot if I couldn't get the boots that were properly fastened on.

I noticed that Dorman is getting in the game now with ball joints.

Dokken10

Reaction score
I'm not sure Mevotech makes anything at all. When I researched them quite some time ago, I was under the impression that manufacturing was farmed out. The upper ball joints are the one TTX product that I'll consider buying. I do like the plate with the studs in it, but I what I really like is the secured boots. When I was shopping for ball joints, I passed on the Moog uppers, since they didn't have boots that are secured. I do have Moog for lowers and tie-rods. I think my uppers are ACDelco Advantage.... I wasn't going to spend a lot if I couldn't get the boots that were properly fastened on.

I saw that also. Dorman has came along way compared to many years ago. Maybe they're buying up other companies like Holley has been doing.

Dokken10

Reaction score

I wonder if the studs in the plate are pressed in like most wheel studs are. I really don't see any benefit of a plate and studs. 1 tool to install instead of 2 tools. I've never seen or heard of an issue with the bolts and nuts. Maybe with low quality bj but I don't buy low quality parts. I went with ACDelco loaded UCA.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not going off the ball joint I'm comparing the 4 bj mount holes and the half round cutouts on the arm.

So the shop that did your alignment had no issues getting into spec?
They had no issues with the alignment. I still have the results sheet in the glove box because they gave me a lifetime warranty. I had the set my camber to 0 and not 1.5 deg like the factory spec because I want my tires to sit squarely to the road and wear straight across. This truck is my daily driver 68 miles each way to work and have had no alignment issues. It still tracks straight and doesn’t pull to either side. I also take it out in the desert off-road. Nothing extreme but it does get used.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year trucks did you install the Astro LCA in?

Did you have to do any grinding? I'm asking because I saw another thread that he had to grind the arm and the knuckle but I believe it was a 96-99.
Mine is a 1991 RCSB Z71. My coworker’s truck is a 1990 RCLB 1500.
I didn’t have to do any grinding. I started a different thread with pictures of what I did. I did have an issue with a grease fitting but swapped it for a different one and solved my issue. If I remember correctly. I think it was close to two years ago when I did this.

Dokken10

Reaction score
Mine is a 1991 RCSB Z71. My coworker’s truck is a 1990 RCLB 1500.
I didn’t have to do any grinding. I started a different thread with pictures of what I did. I did have an issue with a grease fitting but swapped it for a different one and solved my issue. If I remember correctly. I think it was close to two years ago when I did this.
Thank you for the replies and info.

Dokken10

Reaction score
Your welcome. You have no real evidence of only failure’s with lifts. Btw- I’m 62, owned quite a few myself.
To clarify, I did not say all lifts wear out ball joint. I said the cheap lifts.

If you just crank up the torsion bars to lift the front end OR you just install 3" keys to lift the front end.

I thought it was common knowledge that balljoints will fail prematurely if you do those type of lift.

I've fixed 4 for others and 2 I've owned. All 20ish owners that did it. Wanting the "bulldog" style on a tight budget.

So you are correct then, I have no real evidence. I'm lost on what would be real evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.