Control arms hitting bump stop and shock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jay167

Reaction score
1995 K1500 5.7L 6inch rough country lift kit with 2” rough county keys
Installed a 6inch rough country lift on my truck, also changed to rough country 2” lift keys. Torsion bars were frozen inside lower control arm so I didn’t put them in backwards or anything like that. Both control arms are hitting the shock and lower bump stop how ever I have the keys at the lowest position not cranked at all they are sitting on the key holders where you put the bolts into to adjust height. Currently the cab and box are off the truck. I’m just wondering if the cab and box have enough weight to push down that front end enough for it to not hit? Or do I have a bigger problem? Any ideas or help is appreciated.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda hard to understand . Not familiar with lifts so someone else may. I mean, are you talking about getting the z height adjustment where it needs to be?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never installed a lift, but I do have a 4x4. It sounds like you're trying to stack two lifts, and it's probably not designed to work that way. Trying to lift our trucks with keys is generally a bad idea.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To compliment and expand on what @454cid wrote: Get rid of the Leveling kit keys and reinstall the OE ones. It's unnecessary to double up on lift components.
Then, lower the FE ride height until the tie rods and CV shafts are about level. Cranking too high will ride terribly, be hard to align, wear excessively fast, and cost you much more in terms of money and down time.
If you wanted serious height, you chose the wrong height lift kit.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There really isn’t any way around this. The best way to get a 3” lift is to use a 4” kit and relax the torsion keys to get 3”. Any other way is going to ride like crap.