Bump stop gap on the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtdegreenia

Reaction score
Picked up a 2000 z71 obs tahoe knowingly with broken leafs (2 of the four, first below the main and the one below that with the clamps). I'm pretty sure it happened due to hyper flexing as the bump stops are absent.

The cheapest replacements I can find are Dorman ones on Amazon for 39 dollars each...yikes! I have bumpstops for an 04 sierra I'm considering subbing in if they are close. They are nearly equal on diameter, the way they mount and shape. I can't find accurate dimensions on length hense the question. I was hoping someone could give me an idea of an acceptable gap between the stop and the axle tube so I can determine of using these 04 stops as a substitute is OK or asking for more broken springs.

Thanks for your input!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Should be the same bumpstops on Tahoes for many years in the GMT400 series. Look 'em up on a dealer parts website and I bet the part # crosses to quite a few. Should be relatively easy to boneyard them.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the springs are broken from seriously overloading the truck, or abuse. It's kinda rare to see broken leafs.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you look at RA for your bump stops and the 04 Sierra, you can compare the sizing to see if will work.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna show my ignorance...what is ra?
Rock Auto - a pretty good online parts dealer with extensive stock. A lot of us use them frequently. Not always the best price but usually competitive, plus they often send out discount codes in email to customers and encourage you to share the codes so that others will use them and shop there.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you pull up a part at RA, 9 out of 10 times, you can click on the "more info" blue sticker and then it typically shows all the specs of that part.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory rear bump stops are approximately 3" long. I don't recall the diameter, however.