8.5 GM Axle strength

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any turbo LS guys out there running the stock 8.5 rear axle? My 5.3 is ready to go but I haven’t done the swap yet. I’m planning for low boost to keep things reliable so expect around 600 hp at the wheel. I really don’t want to swap rear ends….

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This guy is running a 8.6 10 bolt (same as the GMT400 8.5, I think) on a boosted 8.1:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Look at his other videos, he's got some dyno numbers, but can't remember what they are...

BTW, 600 HP at the wheels on "low boost" (by itself) sounds a little too optimistic, but I don't really know much about boost to begin with...unless your interpretation of "low boost" is like 20 psi+, LOL. I'm sure you are doing other stuff as well to the engine.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This guy is running a 8.6 10 bolt (same as the GMT400 8.5, I think) on a boosted 8.1:

Look at his other videos, he's got some dyno numbers, but can't remember what they are...

BTW, 600 HP at the wheels on "low boost" (by itself) sounds a little too optimistic, but I don't really know much about boost to begin with...unless your interpretation of "low boost" is like 20 psi+, LOL. I'm sure you are doing other stuff as well to the engine.
Thanks for that link. I have seen those videos. The 8.1 is a turd compared to LS engines. 600 whp with a boosted LS 5.3 LS is actually easy to accomplish. 7-10 psi of boost should get it done. People make over 1000hp with these boosted junk yard 5.3’s no joke. I understand the skepticism if you havent experienced it first hand. Ever watch sloppy mechanics on YouTube? Check it out. My build is mild. My brothers….not so much.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty crazy stuff there! I'm not sure how the 10 bolt will last (long term) under that much power. That white truck has a 9.5".

Why don't you want to swap rear ends? Is your truck a 5 lug or 6 lug? The 6 lug is easier to upgrade. I think the 5 lug you have to get custom axles? Don't know. There's a AXN axle for sale on FBM locally right now for $150. The older ones used to go for $600, but since that's what the newer trucks are running they are starting to show up cheap now. AXN is pretty much a 14 bolt 9.5" in strength and between a 8.6" & 9.5" in weight, with large disc brake rotors.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty crazy stuff there! I'm not sure how the 10 bolt will last (long term) under that much power. That white truck has a 9.5".

Why don't you want to swap rear ends? Is your truck a 5 lug or 6 lug? The 6 lug is easier to upgrade. I think the 5 lug you have to get custom axles? Don't know. There's a AXN axle for sale on FBM locally right now for $150. The older ones used to go for $600, but since that's what the newer trucks are running they are starting to show up cheap now. AXN is pretty much a 14 bolt 9.5" in strength and between a 8.6" & 9.5" in weight, with large disc brake rotors.
I’m not opposed to swapping axles if needed. I have a G body 442 with the big rearend like the Grand National has (8.5” opposed to the standard 7.5”). In a car with 26” tires they will handle 700-800hp so that’s where my mind set is. Will the AXN bolt right into my 1990 and allow bolting up factory rims with the disk brake set up? I thought the rear to get was the 454 SS rearend? Mine is a 6 lug 4x4.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, AXN won't be an easy swap...

454SS would be next to impossible to find at a reasonable price, and 5 lug. A 14 bolt 9.5" from a 2500 Light duty 4x4 would be a direct bolt-in swap for you though; it's basically the same axle as the 454SS with 6 lugs. I helped my brother swap a C2500 LD 3.73/G80 axle on his 90 RCSB C1500 3.08 open diff. (2wd vs 4x4 axle width is different in this generation.) Just needed new U bolts, conversion U joint, and brake fluid for the purge. Took us about 3 hours. Total cost was like $400 for everything, then he sold his 10 bolt for like $200, so a grand total of $200. Cheaper than a regear. Just a thought.

Edit: I don't know if that will work on 15" rims

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A 14 bolt 9.5" from a 2500 Light duty 4x4 would be a direct bolt-in swap for you though; it's basically the same axle as the 454SS with 6 lugs.

This, for sure. Your truck already being a six lug makes things so much easier.

A complete six lug 9.5" 14 bolt should be reasonably easy to find, check car-part.com

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So for search criteria I think it would be safe to use a 1995 k2500 all of which were 6 lug correct?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, only the 2500 "Light Duty" had 6 lugs. The "regular" 2500 were 8 lugs. Just look for a K2500 with 6 lug wheels. I don't know that on line search functions would actually have this option? Expand on the years though to get a better chance of finding one. I don't know when they started making those 2500LD trucks (maybe 88?), but I think they were at least made into 97. That's what ours came out of.

Last edited: