400 vs newer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

The brakes are night an day. I have the best of the best GMT-400 brakes on my 1-ton (big calipers, 3.5" shoes, hydroboost) and the 4 wheel disc, twin piston calipers, of the 800 are much better.... plus the front rotors slide off, unlike mine that are held on to the backside of the front hubs.

I actually have not driven an 800 truck, but a two of the GMT-610 vans, but they're based on the trucks.

I have not actived the newer ABS when it wasn't needed either. My truck (and it's always done it) will activate the ABS if a bump is hit while coming to a stop, and cut your braking ability even though the wheel are back down on the ground.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brakes are night an day. I have the best of the best GMT-400 brakes on my 1-ton (big calipers, 3.5" shoes, hydroboost) and the 4 wheel disc, twin piston calipers, of the 800 are much better.... plus the front rotors slide off, unlike mine that are held on to the backside of the front hubs.

I actually have not driven an 800 truck, but a two of the GMT-610 vans, but they're based on the trucks.

I have not actived the newer ABS when it wasn't needed either. My truck (and it's always done it) will activate the ABS if a bump is hit while coming to a stop, and cut your braking ability even though the wheel are back down on the ground.
Brakes on both my 800"s don't "seem" any better than the dually, but it's not an apples to apples comparison because the dually has bigger brakes and is much heavier. My 07 classic has rear drums, the Yukon is 4 wheel discs.
Not saying you're wrong, and point taken regarding the ABS

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Brakes on both my 800"s don't "seem" any better than the dually, but it's not an apples to apples comparison because the dually has bigger brakes and is much heavier. My 07 classic has rear drums, the Yukon is 4 wheel discs.
Not saying you're wrong, and point taken regarding the ABS

I suppose I should have qualified it by specifying 8-lug.