400 vs newer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally wanted a square body as a project. But the 400 fell into my lap, it is quite simple to work on, parts are plentiful and cheap. I have a GMT900 Burb I absolutely love it too. It will be getting some love here in a few weeks with a 100% proper AFM delete(Cam, Lifters, Plate, Head Gaskets, Tune etc...) I will also be keeping VVT though.

My next project will be a bit more obscure, a Porsche of some kind(928/944) as I unfortunately need an auto trans and the 928/944 is one of my favorites.
I bought some 400 parts from a guy who had 3 928's in his barn. Cool cars.
A 944 turbo was one of my teenage dreams. Cut the pictures out of the magazines and put them on the wall.

MrRedBailey

Reaction score
Lots of really good stories in this thread! Mine is similar, but I will sum it up like this: I have loved my truck (I special ordered it) since the day I took delivery of it. Now, with 289,000 miles on it, I still love it like that first day.

E-gads

Reaction score
First vehicle I ever purchased new was a 1997 Tahoe. Between hunting and fishing, I have put some very hard miles on that truck and it has always come back for more. I currently drive a 1999 Yukon that I bought to be a donor truck for some of the plastic parts and other things that needed replaced on that '97. I liked some of the features of the '99 Yukon better so used the '97 for the parts donor and have replaced almost everything on the Yukon. Engine 383, trans, interior (seats and carpet), 2" lift, air bags, new locker , 0411 swap, etc. Cost me 25% of what a new truck would cost. Parts are cheap and plentiful. I feel that the newer trucks are pretty but I feel that with the need to comply with the federal emission laws and crash standards that it has created a less reliable vehicle. Maybe I am biased and totally off base but that's my opinion and it's been all I've driven for the past 25 years. I like the body style, I like the room inside and it's easy to work on. The only thing I don't like is that if it gets totaled, my insurance company will probably pay me a couple dollars for it. The upside is that that I'll be able to say, yeah, but you should have seen the other guy. They don't make 'em like they used to!

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 1998 C1500 5.7 auto at 20k mileage.

Just put in the new 4 bolt main Vortec crate engine. It has been real reliable and new trucks just cost way too much, now. Parts are plentiful, too. And like others commented before, the march to more electronics/computer controls has sacrificed reliability. I'm in my early 60s, so paying $60k for a new one just doesn't make sense.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I'll be honest, i've owned close to 40 personal 400's, each one has been some varying degree of work truck, daily driver or project. For a while, I had blinders on. There wasn't a better truck in my mind.

Then I went to brand new Ram's, they blew all new GM's out of the water. Great trucks.

Inherited an 800, 7 months ago. Got busy working on it, then totally lost interest in 400's. I had to say it, but an 800 does everything a 400 does, but 10 times better. I'll still hang onto my RCSB 400, but I feel after seeing how much better an 800 is, my next project will likely be another 800.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, i've owned close to 40 personal 400's, each one has been some varying degree of work truck, daily driver or project. For a while, I had blinders on. There wasn't a better truck in my mind.

Then I went to brand new Ram's, they blew all new GM's out of the water. Great trucks.

Inherited an 800, 7 months ago. Got busy working on it, then totally lost interest in 400's. I had to say it, but an 800 does everything a 400 does, but 10 times better. I'll still hang onto my RCSB 400, but I feel after seeing how much better an 800 is, my next project will likely be another 800.
I'm curious, what do you think the 800's do better than the 400's?