Do all GMT 400 Burbs have running board brackets whether they have running boards installed or not ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgiabigfoot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, first post here. I’m about to purchase a 1996 Suburban that doesn’t have
You must be registered for see images attach
any running boards. I have a buddy who has a 99 Burb with factory running boards and while they are really helpful, it appears there are brackets welded to the frame, that the running board brackets bolt in to. Question is did all GMT 400 Suburbans ship from the plant with these welded brackets in place ? I’m attaching a photo of one of the brackets that I’m saying appears welded on his ‘99 and I have it outlined in red. Any info is appreciated. Thank you,

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't bet on it. I've owned a few Suburbans without running boards and I don't recall seeing any extra brackets underneath, but since I wasn't intentionally looking for them, there's the possibility they were overlooked. Pretty sure they aren't there though unless equipped from factory with the running boards. Many were not - particularly the older models. It seems like later in the model years they were more common.

Richard

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As per above post - ie, haven't noticed them (and I've been underneath mine undersealing it (for what seems like weeks) but possibly they are there. My 'running boards' are aftermarket on brackets that use the body-to-frame mounts front and middle and at the rear the spring hanger.

Georgiabigfoot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As per above post - ie, haven't noticed them (and I've been underneath mine undersealing it (for what seems like weeks) but possibly they are there. My 'running boards' are aftermarket on brackets that use the body-to-frame mounts front and middle and at the rear the spring hanger.
Thanks for chiming in on both replies. I’ll post an update when I climb underneath this one tomorrow. I’m guessing the welded brackets aren’t there as that would be an extra cost and extra steps at the factory but will know better tomorrow. Thank you!

Last edited:

Johnson99

Reaction score
Hey Georgiabigfoot. What did you end up doing for your running boards? I picked up a ‘99 K2500 LT (with the rear AC) and I’m not sure what my options are yet.