To rebuild or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you do a dynamic compression check. Then a differential compression check ?
This thread peaked my interest because I am about to do a compression test on my 1990 454 to see if I even want to restore-ish my truck.
I don't understand what dynamic vs differential tests are. I googled it and can't find in layman's terms what they are. Dynamic = regular old screw into spark plug hole tester? Differential = two testers?
Anyway I have the OTC comp tester and the OTC leakdown tester, so am I on the right track?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
180,000 km is only 111k miles. That thing's barely broken in. I'd run it as-is.

What truck is the engine going into? Back into the '99 Tahoe? Or into a TBI truck?

If it's going into a Vortec truck, keep the Vortec heads and run the MPFI. If it's going into a TBI, then I'd consider the aftermarket heads and Edelbrock intake.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you do a dynamic compression check. Then a differential compression check ?
I don't understand what dynamic vs differential tests are. I googled it and can't find in layman's terms what they are. Dynamic = regular old screw into spark plug hole tester? Differential = two testers?
Anyway I have the OTC comp tester and the OTC leakdown tester, so am I on the right track?
I, too, am not sure.

"Dynamic" test could be a plain ol' ordinary cranking-compression test, or it could be a running compression test--which is fairly unusual. I haven't done a running compression test in years.

The differential test is almost certainly a leakdown test. The FAA says "Differential Compression Test. The
most common type of compression tester currently
in use is the differential pressure-type tester." and then goes on to describe what automotive guys call a leakdown test.

GoToGuy is somewhat aeronautical, as you might guess from his avatar. :)

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I, too, am not sure.

"Dynamic" test could be a plain ol' ordinary cranking-compression test, or it could be a running compression test--which is fairly unusual. I haven't done a running compression test in years.

The differential test is almost certainly a leakdown test. The FAA says "Differential Compression Test. The
most common type of compression tester currently
in use is the differential pressure-type tester." and then goes on to describe what automotive guys call a leakdown test.

GoToGuy is somewhat aeronautical, as you might guess from his avatar. :)
Thanks for the clarification!

Matt98

Reaction score
I guess the best thing is run a leak down test on it and if it’s in good shape see if I can get just the intake from Edelbrock without buying everything, don’t touch the heads or anything. If not, pull the heads and look further check the bores etc

Matt98

Reaction score
I'd think ANY 4-bbl intake with injector ports and--maybe--available fuel rails to fit the injector spacing would be good enough, Edelbrock or otherwise.
Huh that never even crossed my mind that I could just use a different brand intake. I did eventually find an edelbrock one with provisions for fuel rails for a vortec but it is around $1000. It looks like Holley makes one thats a bit of a different design but it comes with fuel rails and its a couple hundred cheaper. Thank you!