Rebuild or new engine from Blueprint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deciding which way to go is up to you, but I'll throw in my experience with Blueprint. I have their 306 in my F250 and it's fantastic quality. I heavily considered them for the 383 going into the blazer, but just couldn't justify that money on an old chevy. If you go with them you'll be very satisfied.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heavily considered them for the 383 going into the blazer, but just couldn't justify that money on an old chevy.
Yeah, me too. I just recently got my Blue Print 377 (a "383" with standard 4" bore) short block running. Took it out for its 1st drive yesterday. I tried to take it easy but, I had to try a hit from a stop sign - smoked the tires until I let off. Then rapped it up in 2nd gear to 5700 RPM and it still wanted to go more :driver:

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This little 306 would light the 37" humvee tires I had on it. Had to add traction bars to keep the axle in place lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. I just recently got my Blue Print 377 (a "383" with standard 4" bore) short block running. Took it out for its 1st drive yesterday. I tried to take it easy but, I had to try a hit from a stop sign - smoked the tires until I let off. Then rapped it up in 2nd gear to 5700 RPM and it still wanted to go more :driver:

Ah yes, proper break-in procedure. :)

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or why snowflakes make everything about politics. Try to focus here buddy

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:
I purchased a new Delphi IAC and AC Delco MAP controller (sensor).

I wanted to see what part was bad so I replaced the MAP first. Bingo! Fixed the rough idle and part throttle drivability issue. I am gonna keep the new IAC and replace it at a later time.

Thanks again for all the responses. I appreciate the support on this forum. I don’t post a lot but I am on here quite a bit.

Here’s a pic of the old MAP and box the new one came it.

Attachments

• 8049FBA1-861D-4619-9A7A-B3D1C90F9FA8.jpeg
    8049FBA1-861D-4619-9A7A-B3D1C90F9FA8.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 2

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The IAC could be gunk'ed up. Wouldn't hurt to pull it out and make sure everything is clean inside and out (including TBI where it's screwed in at). There is a way to reset the IAC, but you'll have to do a search here to find it. Blue smoke is almost always valve stem seals, but that is the first indication it's time for a rebuild IMO (if over 100k). I bought a short block from Chevy and did the roller cam conversion (it was already drilled and tapped for the spider and cam plate)... Had the heads redone with springs and screw in rocker studs. Went with CompCams for everything (lifter, roller cam, roller rockers, springs), and added a Cloyes double roller timing change set. All in was about 2k in 2004. In hindsight, I would have preferred to rebuild the original engine, but was under a time limit, and machine shop would have taken longer compared to what I did. Now, I would buy the Chevy performance 383 short block, and just throw it into the truck.
I thoroughly cleaned and inspected the IAC when I rebuilt the TBI.

I thought about doing the same thing with my engine. It should be tapped for the roller lifter holders. Here’s my issue though:

I would want to do new heads or at least have mine redone. If I’m pulling the heads and cam out then I should at least pull the pistons and rods and hone the bores and install new rings.

By the time you add all that up it would cost as much if not more than a new long block from blueprint.

Todd

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at engine swap also but have a different base line / motivation. I have a 1988 gmc k1500 with a 305 tbi. Runs and drives fine if somewhat slowly (for me). I need to replace the oilpan gasket due to oil leaking. valve seals (best case) or rip out the heads and get them done (white smoke when it starts) but I have not tackled the engine so who knows what happens when I start tearing it down. Need headers and exhaust pipes out to a pair of mufflers as the current exhaust, cat, mufflers, etc all have viewing windows (dreading the exhaust manifold bolt situation). It seems to me, with my limited engine experience, that even if i fix up the engine, do the heads and handle whatever unnamed horror(s) are lurking in my previously poorly maintained stock engine, waiting to bite my hind quarters, it will still have about 170 or so hp. At the end of the day I would like the truck to have a little get up and go and I would prefer to keep it tbi as I dont want to become an electro-mechanical engineer the hard way. I dont need 500hp, 250 -300hp would be more than sufficient. Budget? I would like to keep it under 7-8k and do the work myself. blueprint? other vendors? what say you gmt sages?