Running cool/ bad temp sender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
If you think you recognize my name, you probly do. I see some familiar names from elsewhere on the webs. Anyway….

93 1500 5.7, temp is only getting up to the first line on the gauge. I can easily spin the fan by hand so I don’t think the fan clutch is bad. I thought maybe the temp sender on driver’s side of the block was bad but now I’m starting to doubt that. I took the wire off and grounded it out and the gauge pegged hot so gauge cluster and wires are good, still doesn’t rule out the sender but when I pulled it out it looked good for whatever that counts.

Another clue is that how normally it will stay in 4th while it’s warming up, then shift to 5th (i think it’s a 5 speed) once it starts to get warm. Well it will sometimes go to high gear after 10-15 miles, and sometimes not at all so that makes me think the ecu gauge is reading cold as well.

Water pump and thermostat are 2-3 years old but only have 1500 miles, all of which being after getting it running again this winter. I would hope a new thermostat wouldn’t be bad but these days who knows.

I can pull thermostat and see if it failed open but aside from that and the temp sender I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that don’t involve me dumping half my coolant.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your tranny is a four speed. That 5th shift your feeling is the torque convertor locking up. If your temp gauge is moving at all and TC is intermittently locking up it sounds like your thermostat is stuck open and not allowing the engine to come up to temp. TC lockup is programmed not to lock until the engine reaches a certain temp.