400 vs newer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Hey y’all I’m asking you on if you have a newer truck/suv but still have you 400 is why and if you don’t have a newer truck/suv and your 400 is stopping that from happening just want to hear other stories of why the not letting it go or why would I need anything newer! Lol financials excluded from reason/s of why since no explanation is necessary if money is the root you own a 400! It’s not that I don’t know reasons as to why myself I’m just interested in others reasons for keeping a older model since most people think that is a financial reasons vs personal likes but anyway drop your story here for another reason for others to celebrate this generation of gmt!!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know you said financials excluded, but that's the biggest part for me. I don't like payments, and if I blow a motor or trans on this it's exponentially cheaper to fix. These trucks were new when I was a kid, and I got my first at 18 and never been without one, so they just don't feel old to me. As was said, the newer stuff has its fair share of issues I want nothing to do with. The constant little things that are always needing fixed (or you live with) can be annoying, but then I remember I'm not paying the bank $900/mo for a 5 year old truck like my friend and it's OK again. So because I'm committed to this older stuff, I do get a sense of accomplishment making them perform much better than when they came off the lot. Really kills the need for something newer and being able to punch it and fend off some unsuspecting d-bag from cutting me off is satisfying too.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I owned a new '94 ECSB Z71 when I was 26. I got rid of it and regretted it when I did. At almost 54, I could afford a new truck. I certainly don't want to shell out $60K+ for a new one though. When I found my current '94 ECSB Z71 with only 52K miles on it, I jumped on the purchase REAL quick. I wouldn't trade it for any brand new truck. You just don't find too many low mileage GMT400s anymore. It's the look, the nostalgia, the cool factor, the memories, etc. I get questions and comments about it everywhere I go.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My dad has an 07 (or 08?) and I hate the throttle. I drove it daily for a week a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if something is wrong with it, or the throttle is just programmed stupid. I felt like I was getting no power, so I'd press the peddle a little more, still no power, press the pedal a little more, then all of a sudden I'm accelerating to mach 3, like I'm in an SR-71.

I also mostly hate modern interiors..... especially the fabric that if anything at all gets it wet it looks like it's been peed on.

Yes, 07/08 is "modern" to me...... the newest vehicle I've owned is an 04, and my current daily is a 96.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad has an 07 (or 08?) and I hate the throttle. I drove it daily for a week a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if something is wrong with it, or the throttle is just programmed stupid. I felt like I was getting no power, so I'd press the peddle a little more, still no power, press the pedal a little more, then all of a sudden I'm accelerating to mach 3, like I'm in an SR-71.

I also mostly hate modern interiors..... especially the fabric that if anything at all gets it wet it looks like it's been peed on.

Yes, 07/08 is "modern" to me...... the newest vehicle I've owned is an 04, and my current daily is a 96.
Put in a "range technology" afm delete box. It solves the shuddering, hesitation, transmission shifting issues, and makes the engine run on a cylinders all the time. A marked improvement.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Can also just unplug the MAP sensor on the brake booster to deactivate gay-FM.

I wonder if the black boxes plugged into the OBD2 port, just mess with that signal. I've heard that the way the engine shutting off at stop lights gets deavtivated is that the PCM is tricked into thinking the hood is open!