4-link setup for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does any control-arm modified suspension improve on vehicle dynamics compared to the OEM leaf springs in a towing situation?

I'm no inherent fan of leaf springs, but I am sharp enough to know that when GM quit using leaves on 1/2-ton pickups...they went back to leaves just a few years later; and never did use the Truck Arm suspension on 4WDs, or the 2500s and greater GVW trucks. I'm not sure that discontinuing the Truck Arm suspension was strictly a cost-cutting move.

The Truck Arm suspension worked great in NASCAR for decades. I acknowledge that they don't tow trailers.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No axle wrap and wheel hop are a couple of the improvements I can think of.

Ram 2500 trucks are 4 link with coil springs (I think the 1500 are too), the 3500 are leaf spring. The 2500 rides a lot nicer, but has less payload. I thought my 2500 rode super nice for what it was. Loved that truck until it caught on fire one day, LOL.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No axle wrap and wheel hop are a couple of the improvements I can think of.

Ram 2500 trucks are 4 link with coil springs (I think the 1500 are too), the 3500 are leaf spring. The 2500 rides a lot nicer, but has less payload. I thought my 2500 rode super nice for what it was. Loved that truck until it caught on fire one day, LOL.

Yup, 1500 and 2500 are indeed rear coil. And with a standard type track bar. No need for an over complicated Watts nonsense.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much suspension travel are expecting to see while towing?
In my towing experience it's not much travel unless your on some really crappy roads.

I've towed a fair amount with a 03 tahoe with its 5 link and on some roads without a load I noticed the left/right travel of the body in rear but with a load I couldn't.

Also the 3500 rams have the optional 4 link with airbags and they do ride very nice! And hold up to towing 45,000#. Atleast my brother's did until the torque converter crapped out

Reaction score
+1

I daily drive an '06 Mustang with a panhard. None of us are good enough drivers to feel the difference. It doesn't stop a thousand independent shops from building and selling Watts Link kits that promise handling gains. A Watts link is a heavy solution to something that's not really a problem.

Also, a Watts link doesn't keep the rear centered, it keeps it "more centered" than a panhard. The Watts link moves in a narrow figure 8. If you go too stiff with your bushings it can also cause binding and snap oversteer.

And all this is on a tow pig? Spend your money on something that will make it more effective at towing.
so you are basically saying my set up now is fine, and spend my money on brakes (done), engine upgrades (also done) and Transmission upgrades(next on the list)?

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tall floppy sidewalls are a more significant liability than anything you do to the suspension when towing. As long as what you have is tight, it will work if the trailer dynamics are in bounds.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so you are basically saying my set up now is fine, and spend my money on brakes (done), engine upgrades (also done) and Transmission upgrades(next on the list)?
Yes. Unless you have several hundred hours of track time and plan on setting this truck up a a road racer, you're spending cubic dollars on an upgrade that won't help. For a tow pig, brakes and transmission are your most effective upgrades. Even the engine can take a back seat because you can always just accelerate slower.