350 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
how would a lt4 hot cam bve? looking at the specs it looks pretty good

That cam combined with a set of vortec heads are going to make power into a stretch of the rpm band where the stock fueling and induction systems are tapering off. Not a great matching of parts imo.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
RamJet/HT383/Marine cam. Known by many names, great step above stock for a pickup.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
RamJet/HT383/Marine cam. Known by many names, great step above stock for a pickup.

This is what I'm running. It's quite mild, and I think the OP is looking for something with a little more kick than this, hence the suggestion I made for the ZZ4 cam.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I totally get what he is looking for, but in a heavy pickup, more HP at the top end doesn't do anything to get you moving. When all is said and done, over camming an engine is more common than not.

He is also running a 5 speed and not an auto that you can run a higher rpm stall converter.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I totally get what he is looking for, but in a heavy pickup, more HP at the top end doesn't do anything to get you moving. When all is said and done, over camming an engine is more common than not.

He is also running a 5 speed and not an auto that you can run a higher rpm stall converter.

I hear you. I just don't think the '395 cam is big enough for what he's trying to do. With the 5 speed, think of the third pedal as a variable torque converter stall rating.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
With the 5 speed, think of the third pedal as a variable torque converter stall rating.

sounds like broken drivelines, burnt clutch, and fast rear tire wear to me!

he'll need a lot of gear with most of the cams i have seen listed.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Call one of the cam company's tech lines. They usually have someone that you can talk to about what you're building and can probably better point you in the right direction than us internet forum "experts".

I agree that overcamming is a commonly done thing because size matters.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Justune did the initial tune on my LS swapped Camaro, I personally wouldn't take anything back to him. It made OK power on the dyno, but doesn't have the low rpm driveability it should with the cam profile I'm running.

Definitely run a roller cam, no reason not to if you have all the parts.

Amen....

I'd go see Ryan Mitchell at KCMAXX performance in Kansas City for a good tune.

98k15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys everyone, I'm on hold with comp right now, after thinking about it I'm going to try to find a cam with a lot of low end torque since the truck is getting a flatbed soon and it will be even heavier and try to keep my top end if not gain some at the same tine