3/4 ton shocks on 1/2 ton 96 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mkelley14

Reaction score
I have been looking all over the internet so i figured I would ask hear. I am wondering is it possible to just put the 3/4 ton shocks in place of the 1/2 ton shocks on the front of my 1/2 ton Yukon.

Reaction score
When I was looking at the specs for the compressed/extended lengths for shocks, I found that the HD 3/4 t ( 8600# GVW) had front shocks that had almost 1" less travel compared to the same model of shock made for a LD 3/4T ( 8200# GVW) or K1500.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that the factory specifications or a brand of shock, or all shock specifications. " Almost 1 inch" . Look at this way , if you choose the shock from the K2500 , 8600+ , you will get a shock with valving for higher load factor. Meaning it will have more resistance to cyclic movement as it has valving based on much higher load capacity. Whereas the the K15 Tahoe, with the K15 shock has valve geometry for the K15.
Do you have a problem with shock extension on the whoop de doos at the track or jumping school buses? How often do you get full shock extension? On the rotary frame lift?
Almost one inch, 3/4, 13/16, 31/32, 63/64 ?
If it was 2 ", or 2.25 " , then I might rethink the plan.
I believe your best choice is the quality, basic versus high end gas damping, premium brand. Rather than the shock for a heavier vehicle.
But hey it's your money get what your happy with.:cool:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe your best choice is the quality, basic versus high end gas damping, premium brand. .:cool:
Yes, Bilstein shocks. But unless he altered the ride height by cranking, I don't know why he's looking in this direction of 2500 shocks. They're not going to fix that type of self inflicted ride quality issue.

Mkelley14

Reaction score
Is that the factory specifications or a brand of shock, or all shock specifications. " Almost 1 inch" . Look at this way , if you choose the shock from the K2500 , 8600+ , you will get a shock with valving for higher load factor. Meaning it will have more resistance to cyclic movement as it has valving based on much higher load capacity. Whereas the the K15 Tahoe, with the K15 shock has valve geometry for the K15.
Do you have a problem with shock extension on the whoop de doos at the track or jumping school buses? How often do you get full shock extension? On the rotary frame lift?
Almost one inch, 3/4, 13/16, 31/32, 63/64 ?
If it was 2 ", or 2.25 " , then I might rethink the plan.
I believe your best choice is the quality, basic versus high end gas damping, premium brand. Rather than the shock for a heavier vehicle.
But hey it's your money get what your happy with.:cool:
I’ve add and push bar to my Yukon and it rides lower it the front now so o was thinking that putting 3/4 shocks on the front to help. I’m open to suggestions on how the help with the problem.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve add and push bar to my Yukon and it rides lower it the front now so o was thinking that putting 3/4 shocks on the front to help. I’m open to suggestions on how the help with the problem.
Shocks are not going to fix your ride height issue. How much did it drop after you mounted this cow catcher on the front? Push bar like you see on a Cop Crown vic or a pushbar like a mosterous one on a wrecker that's ready for battle.

Last edited: