Upgrading from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow with my 92 C2500 several times a month. My trailer has good brakes so I would not hesitate to tow anything within it's rating today.
You probably have a 4L80 too. Also, comparing a light duty C1500 with JB3 brakes to a C2500. And of course the overall condition of a truck can be a factor as well.

Last edited:

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so if and when I need to replace these rotors, pads and calipers what would they be “called”? I see on rock auto they have “normal” then sports package, heavy duty chasis. And sports package and heavy duty chasis. Not sure which is which. Or any other parts store I’m good with. Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Order parts by the brake option code you have (or swapped-to)--JB3, JB5, JB6, etc.

Or if you've swapped to the bigger rotors/calipers/master/booster, just tell them you have an extended-cab truck instead of telling them you have a regular-cab.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so all that heavy duty chasis stuff means not much. Will keep that in mine when ordering. Do you know if the extendo cabs have JB5’s or JB’6s? I should probly go with the 6’s if possible

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"5" and "6" are identical at the front brakes, master cylinder, and booster.

"5" has the crappy 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe drum rear brakes, "6" has the much-better 11.x Duo-Servo rear drums.

Best way to get the upgrade to "6" is to install a 9.5" semi-float rear axle from a light-duty (6-lug) 2500, which gets you the better brakes AND a rear axle that's way stronger. Downside is you need the 6-lug wheels, or you need custom 5-lug axle shafts. Or, steal the brakes including the backing plate from a Suburban.
A 400 suburban would have everything you should need to change over. Your pickup is 2wd C1500, there are usually several C1500 Burbs in the wrecking yards.....

johnny_162

Reaction score
Buddy of mine put "one ton" springs under his half-ton truck.

Rode like an ox-cart. Completely ridiculous.

Did NOTHING to increase the load-capacity of the axle bearings, axle shafts, etc.

Total waste of effort.
One-ton springs won't fit in a half-ton or a 3/4 ton as they're considerably wider. Unless someone cut and re welded all the brackets to the frame, it's simply just not possible. And you wouldn't have the brackets for the over-load pack. 3/4 ton springs would fit, but definitely not one-ton springs.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure springs are all the same size. Length and width. Even the squares had the same size, just 52" or 56" long. 3/4 or 1 ton will have more springs, and each leaf will be thicker.