Upgrading from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if it would be much work to make my 1/2 ton 2wd truck be able to handle more of a payload by upgrading to 3/4 leaf springs, and what other work I may have to do. Do not have to replace current springs as they work just fine to me. Would not be using this thing as an everyday tow rig, just more of a vehicle to haul some "bigger" things once in a while when needed. I also was hoping to restore the pickup and make it rust freeish. So I was wondering what everyone thought. Thanks!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from a 3/4 pack to a 4/5 pack zero issues. It will increase your rake unless you upgrade front.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea i suppose that could be a maybe, but how much more work would that be compared to just doing springs and such? I also have thought about doing some sort of lift so I can fit a bit bigger tires in there, if the bags would be easier to install and do the same job im more than happy to consider it. Thanks!

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I would basically be better off to axle swap it with new 3/4 ton springs as well? If so I am more than likely gonna leave it. Thanks

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I would basically be better off to axle swap it with new 3/4 ton springs as well? If so I am more than likely gonna leave it. Thanks
Going to a 4/5 leaf pack is drastically different than putting 1 ton springs in. You haven’t said how much weight you’ll be hauling in your truck. I still say a 4/5 pack is fine. I did for towing a maybe 2200 lb. trailer.
You must be registered for see images attach

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was assuming I would be maxing out our trailer which if I remember it can hold about 7,000 pounds. It would barely fit a short wheelbase vehicle but I know of someone who has one long enough to haul different vechicles. My best guess would be the maximum it would ever tow would be 8000 lbs

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was assuming I would be maxing out our trailer which if I remember it can hold about 7,000 pounds. It would barely fit a short wheelbase vehicle but I know of someone who has one long enough to haul different vechicles. My best guess would be the maximum it would ever tow would be 8000 lbs
For that I would be replacing the whole truck to a 2500/3500!

Last edited: