3/4 ton shocks on 1/2 ton 96 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's rides lower. What did measure before and after?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve add and push bar to my Yukon
2WD or 4WD?

and it rides lower it the front now so o was thinking that putting 3/4 shocks on the front to help. I’m open to suggestions on how the help with the problem.

Shocks are not going to fix your ride height issue.
^^^ What he said. There's such a thing as overload shocks that have a coil spring wrapped around 'em, but I bet they don't make 'em for the front of these trucks.

If this is a 4WD, crank the torsion bar anchor bolt another half-turn or whatever.

2WD? You're screwed, unless you can find "overload" shocks, or perhaps there's clearance to cram overload springs on the existing shocks. (Not likely, but I've not researched that.) Thousands of years ago, I put "overload" springs on the back of my '66 Biscayne. I didn't have the skillset to research spring stiffness options, and the aftermarket was pretty-much limited to Moog Cargo Coils.

Amazon is showing these as "Not Available" but they probably wouldn't fit anyway.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029K3HE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mkelley14

Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t put more info on about my Yukon. I didn’t measure the height before and after. I may need to just put new shocks on the front but I have noticed that the front rises lower lately. The push bar is a Westin. It is 4wd.
You must be registered for see images attach

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shocks won't fix your problem. You can adjust the torsion bars on your truck to get the ride height back.

For a 2WD truck, there are stiffer coil springs available.

jamesT

Reaction score
I did this for my 93 2wd suburban. I put in 3/4 ton shocks. Really didn't do too much, but it did level out the ride so it didn't have that 2wd 'droop' in the front. Rides about the same.

Not sure if you have ever changed springs before, but do your research and be careful. I heard an old mechanic call them widow makers.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SHOCKS
DON'T
CHANGE
RIDE-HEIGHT
unless there's some sort of spring attached to them. Springs carry weight. Shocks don't.

Springs can be mechanical (generally coil, wrapped around the shock tube as posted previously) or it can be weakass "gas pressure" sealed in the shock which doesn't accomplish much at all.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
SHOCKS
DON'T
CHANGE
RIDE-HEIGHT
unless there's some sort of spring attached to them. Springs carry weight. Shocks don't.

Springs can be mechanical (generally coil, wrapped around the shock tube as posted previously) or it can be weakass "gas pressure" sealed in the shock which doesn't accomplish much at all.

We-ellll, you say that and I want to agree, but I did personally observe that my 88 C1500 rode higher with new shocks than old and no, it wasn't a matter of getting the suspension settled. Still makes no sense to me, if I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it myself.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were the new shocks gas-charged to a higher pressure than the ones they replaced? Same pressure but bigger piston area?

Greater seal friction on the new shocks compared to the old ones?

Hydraulic fluid in a shock absorber does not carry weight except when it's being pumped through the shock's orifices as the wheels move up 'n' down. If the wheels aren't moving up and down, the oil isn't affecting ride-height.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Were the new shocks gas-charged to a higher pressure than the ones they replaced? Same pressure but bigger piston area?

Well the old shocks were gonzo so yeah, you could say the new replacement gas shocks had more of a charge compared to nothing. I can't speak to piston areas, we're talking 20 some years ago at this point. I don't recall what came out, but Gabriels went in.