2003 6.0L Water Pump Question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
I know this is a forum for the older generation, but I've got too many trucks of too many eras, so here I am.

I've got a 2003 Chevy Express van 3500, got about 220,000 miles, and I just noticed that the water pump looks to be the original. I've also noticed that every other. 6.0 and 53 I've looked at has a new water pump, so I think I should change this one preventatively.

I looked at RockAuto, and the quality ones are only $20 more than the cheap Chinese ones, but I don't want to be putting in junk, when it's going to last a year like it did on my 6.2 diesel. Then there's a few at double the price.
You must be registered for see images attach
Any suggestions?

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
Took these pix yest in Chicago, loading up 1966 Olds 98 parts to repair a friends badly burned survivor 1966 98 4 door hardtop

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hmm, no experience with LS engines, but I wonder if that Melling is OEM. I've never seen a Melling water pump before. They're a Michigan company.

I have a Chinese Gates water pump on my 454, that's been there for a couple of years now.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the AC delco parts now for the older engines are made in china.

I've used the gates and ac delco on some LS and never had an issue. Most are going on 4 and 6 years now.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Gates or Delco. Like RDF1, I've used both and had great results for many years.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I have read.it says you need to change the thermostat housing and gasket.when you change the pump.i would want american made.you see the one that says mental impeller.there we're some engines that had.by impellers.they wore down quick and did not push the anifreeze to good.i think I would go with the AC delco.but the 6.o.corvette parts places.may gave gomething special.for a water pump.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I have read.it says you need to change the thermostat housing and gasket.when you change the pump.i would want american made.you see the one that says mental impeller.there we're some engines that had.by impellers.they wore down quick and did not push the anifreeze to good.i think I would go with the AC delco.but the 6.o.corvette parts places.may gave gomething special.for a water pump.

I've never seen a LS water pump with anything but a metal impeller.
I usually take them apart when they start leaking just to tinker..

Main part is make sure the water pump has the same thermostat housing as what you have on the original water pump.
There are 2 different styles.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
The bean counters at the city I work for made us use Gates and Airtex for about a year. The comebacks were killing us so its Factory GM or Delco professional only at this point. The fleet I work with are run 27/7.