2 WD front end alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How does it drive?
Its driving good. No pulling at all. Tracking nice and straight. Had them reballance and rotate also. No shake at all ether. I took pics of front tires when I got home, so I can compair in about a month or so. We will see then. I will up date ether way.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Grate way to spend 1/2 of a vacation day. Oh well. My vacation will renew in August so it was take the days, or get paid for them. I figured, hey I could use a few extra days off. Go back on Thursday.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me clarify the setting. This is 0.2 degrees. 0.5 would be 1/2 of a degree. So it is set to negative 0.2 degrees. Since anything over 0.0 negative camber is out of factory spec, they wanted to try a little at a time. I told them, well if its not rite, I'll be back. They have realigned the truck free of charge every time I have been there, after the first time I had it done. SO factory specs are 1.0 to 0.0 positive camber. IMO GM screwed up on this setting.

Last edited:

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's cool they are working with you. Hopefully it helps with your problem. It helps to tip the tech doing the alignment. :) If they aren't charging you he isn't getting paid to re-align your vehicle. That's if he is on flat-rate.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well Im at a diffrent shop today. We had a guy come to out shop a few days ago for some metal work. He is the frontend guy at this shop. I said look at my truck before you leave. First thing he said was your camber is off. Your running positive camber, you need negitive camber. I said.yes thank you. He said just bring it to me
I know these old trucks. I will fix you up. So he gets it on the rack, and my upper control arm bushings are bad. He shows my with a flash light, (before removing anything ) and I can see where they are.cracked.Wel no wonder why I am having so many issues. You would think that the other shop (also a tire amd.alignment shop) would habe cought this rite, but nooo. Anyway this guy has neem doing alignments for 30+ years. He said, hey man yall took care of me, Im guna take care of you. I said you just dont knowhow much i aprechate that.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s hard to find a good shop, hope this guy can get you situated.

I’ve got two that I use if I can’t do it myself, and I’m particular as hell when it comes to mechanics. They’ve both been there since the 70s probably and the office decor hasn’t changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They’ve both been there since the 70s probably and the office decor hasn’t changed.

This is how my mechanic's place is as well. His shop has been in the same building since the '50s, three generations of his family have run it so far. I'm super particular with my vehicles and he's the only one I trust to work on them all. Funny how it seems like the guys who do the best work have the oldest hole-in-the-wall type of shops.

EDIT - @kennythewelder Glad to hear you seem to have found a competent alignment guy! I had a feeling there was some kind of suspension problem contributing to your issues.

Last edited:

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is how my mechanic's place is as well. His shop has been in the same building since the '50s, three generations of his family have run it so far. I'm super particular with my vehicles and he's the only one I trust to work on them all. Funny how it seems like the guys who do the best work have the oldest hole-in-the-wall type of shops.

EDIT - @kennythewelder Glad to hear you seem to have found a competent alignment guy! I had a feeling there was some kind of suspension problem contributing to your issues.
i agree,i had a 86 elcamino i got off a kid for 900 that ran into something(prolly texting) his dad replaced the front clip frame was tweaked i called around no shop even had the specs. someone recommended a old dude with a 2 car garage body shop, and he did have a frame rack.....he said i got this come back in a week.400 bucks and 7 days later straight as a arrow fixed the bad gaps from the dad clip shimmed up everything correctly:evillol:
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

i sold it for 3500 after i got my OBS

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My truck is doing the same thing with the tire wear. I think the upper control arm bushings are toast, it squeaks going over bumps and such like the noise that bad bushings make. Hopefully the new moog upper ball joints are still OK, less than 2 years old, but maybe it is time for lower ball joints too. They were OK when I did the uppers, but that was October '18 and the old Burb was a few miles younger then. Waiting on my stimulus money to get it in the shop, hope it makes it that long. I don't have the shop and tools to fix this problem like I did in 2018

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My truck is doing the same thing with the tire wear. I think the upper control arm bushings are toast, it squeaks going over bumps and such like the noise that bad bushings make. Hopefully the new moog upper ball joints are still OK, less than 2 years old, but maybe it is time for lower ball joints too. They were OK when I did the uppers, but that was October '18 and the old Burb was a few miles younger then. Waiting on my stimulus money to get it in the shop, hope it makes it that long. I don't have the shop and tools to fix this problem like I did in 2018
The last 2 ball joints I did, I just swapped out the whole control arm. By the time you do the ball joints, and bushings, its about the same cost,and maybe cheaper if you have to have someone press out the old bushings, and press in new ones. The last time I went through the front end, I was feed up with my truck eating tires. I just wanted it fixed rite. Yea, it wasnt cheap, but its rite now, and doesnt eat tires any more. And thanks for all the likes BTW.