1997 Chevy C1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's most available in your area, and what's your intent? If you have to drive five miles to find 91 octane, I wouldn't get that tune. In Oklahoma 87 octane is the most common, so I shoot for that. 93 isn't even an option here.

If you're racing it, it might be worth aiming for a tune that requires special fuel, but you better have that fuel on hand!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have one PCM tuned for 91 and the other for 87 so I can swap them out. :lol:

Wasn't really intending to do that but after the 4L80E swap I had an extra PCM that was set up for a 4L60E not doing me any good. Black Bear re-tuned that one for me.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you pay the core charge for the PCM from Black Bear ($75 or $125 depending on if you want one in good cosmetic condition or not) you can keep your stock PCM and they'll send you a different one with the tune on it. This enables you to avoid any down time waiting for the truck's original PCM to be tuned and sent back, and also allows you to swap the stock PCM back in if you ever want to for any reason.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I would avoid Black Bear tuning like the plague. I do not tune for the general public, just myself and my friends so I have nothing to gain stating this, but I have seen some really jacked up stuff that was flashed into more than one PCM by him. My buddy lost 3 different 4L60Es within a few years and the TQ Management was supposed to be stock. Justin Zero'd the shift time tables, effectively completely disabling shift torque management. With the shift times zero'd out the PCM will not pull timing during a shift. With a 4L60E at 300+ ft/lbs, I cut 40% for 0.250s.

Last edited:

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was told by another guy on this thread and few of my friends that have a black bear tune on their trucks(obs chevys) that the shift firmness and the Transmission Torque Management Reduction destroy the 4L60E.