1997 Chevy C1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey yall, I've got a 97 c1500 with a 5.7 and I want to put a tune on it and I was wanting recommendations on the best tune for these trucks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The best option is always going to be an in person tune at a shop that knows what they're doing. Which may be difficult for a '97, as the only commercially available tuning software that works with the '96-'97 black box PCMs that I'm aware of is JET DST. It's a capable program but it's older and doesn't have nearly the market share of more modern options like HPTuners or EFILive, so most shops probably won't be using it.

There are a couple of mail order tuners that can do the '96-'97 PCMs, Black Bear Performance for one. But mail order tunes are going to be more difficult to get dialed in correctly the farther you get from stock.

Personally I would avoid the handheld programmers like the ones that JET or Hypertech offer. There's nothing wrong with them for the most part, but they're expensive for what they are and don't allow drastic changes from stock. A real tune generally costs about the same or less and you can customize a lot more.

If you plan on doing any other performance modifications you'll want to do that stuff before the tune to maximize your gains.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I just got headers and full exhaust put on and someone suggested that I should tune it to get more power from stock. I might end up spending a little money for a cam, lifters, rods, springs, etc. not sure im going to do that yet tho.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you just want a little more power from your current setup, a mail order tune from Black Bear Performance would definitely help. They tuned my red '97 (Stock 4.3L V6, shorty headers and single 3" exhaust) and I've been very happy with the results. It was a noticeable improvement over the stock tune. You'd have to re-tune if you did a cam swap for sure though, and at that point I'd be looking for someone to do it in person to make sure everything's perfect.

One word of warning. If you do go with a mail order tune from Black Bear and your truck has the 4L60E transmission, DO NOT have them remove any torque management or increase the shift firmness too much. Your transmission will not live long if they do.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just looked at Black Bear Performance. What tune would be best Scan cable tune or the Autocal v3. it says the traditional tune is for 99 to 09.