1995 Silverado K1500 father/son build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
You can still do an AWD conversion and keep the 350 it would be easier to do. That way, you don't lose out on the $ from the engine. Find an AWD Astro/Safari, they had 4.3L with a 60E and an AWD T-Case that is not the same as the LS based ones.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can still do an AWD conversion and keep the 350 it would be easier to do. That way, you don't lose out on the $ from the engine. Find an AWD Astro/Safari, they had 4.3L with a 60E and an AWD T-Case that is not the same as the LS based ones.
That’s definitely another idea for a route to go. You would be shocked and amazed at just how much $$ I already have in this engine. And with LS engines being so cheap as runners now, I’d be hard pressed to get anything close to what I have in it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that you want to lose money, but try and sell the 33’s and lift kit. I’d keep the motor, won’t hurt to have a extra HP. This is a similar situation I went through.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool. I forgot the Safari had the AWD. Do you know what T-Case that is?

I also believe the later NP149 from the Danali's can be made to work with the GMT400 with some modifications? At least that's what they showed on Project Red Tide on Powernation.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. I forgot the Safari had the AWD. Do you know what T-Case that is?

I also believe the later NP149 from the Danali's can be made to work with the GMT400 with some modifications? At least that's what they showed on Project Red Tide on Powernation.
This is the one I was thinking about using. It came in AWD GMCs, like you said, but also the Silverado SS. No modifications required to bolt up to a 4x4 4l60e. But the input shaft size and spline count is different for a 4l80e, so it requires disassembly to change that out. Then it bolts right up. Also, you would need custom drive shafts because the transmission lengths are different. But if you were planning on putting much power down, it would be worth getting beefed up drive shafts even if you could find factory ones that worked anyway.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
This is the one I was thinking about using. It came in AWD GMCs, like you said, but also the Silverado SS. No modifications required to bolt up to a 4x4 4l60e. But the input shaft size and spline count is different for a 4l80e, so it requires disassembly to change that out. Then it bolts right up. Also, you would need custom drive shafts because the transmission lengths are different. But if you were planning on putting much power down, it would be worth getting beefed up drive shafts even if you could find factory ones that worked anyway.
The Denali T case is a set 30/70 power split IIRC. Thinking that's what I was told on our '06. It's a 6.0/4L65e according to Comp Nine. 65 is supposed to be Corvette spec super duty 60.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out Lawrence Tolman on YT. He's one of the guys from Powernation on Red Tide, now doing his own thing.

He's building this RCSB 4x4 converted to AWD. He's currently working at installing an LSA supercharger. I think in the beginning he said he was going to keep his 4L60e, but last video he said he's going with the 80e (I think he's repurposing the 80e from his Ugly Truck?). I haven't watched all his latest videos though, so I'm out of touch with what's he's doing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

IIRC, there was some older threads on performancetruck.net and they were saying a guy custom made those output shafts for the NP149, but it was like $600 at the time (2012-ish thread?) and I don't think the guy was even active anymore?

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Denali T case is a set 30/70 power split IIRC. Thinking that's what I was told on our '06. It's a 6.0/4L65e according to Comp Nine. 65 is supposed to be Corvette spec super duty 60.
Close enough. 62/38. So a little closer to 60/40. Anyway, and yes, they all came behind 4l65e’s. The biggest difference in the 60e vs 65e was that the 65’s had 5 pinion planetaries from the factory and 60’s only had 4 pinion. The 65’s also had hardened output shafts and sun gear, high energy clutch packs, an extra clutch in the 3-4 pack and a deeper pan. A few other small upgrades as well. So no doubt it was stronger than a 60 any day.

Actually when people say that they’re making or buying a, “built”, 4k60e what they really mean, or are hoping for, is a 4l65e.

But from all of my research, a factory 4l80e is stronger and MUCH cheaper than trying to build a 4l60e to handle high torque.

But they aren’t without their drawbacks though if you’re talking conversion. If it’s a 2WD conversion it’s relatively easy and cheap. You just need a flex plate and crank sleeve adapter, repin your factory plug, or buy a jumper harness, and find the proper length drive shaft out of something that came with a 4l80e from the factory in your same length vehicle. Since the overall length of the 80 is longer.

For a 4WD, you need a T case from a 4l80e or you have to tear yours apart and change out the input to the correct spline count. Then the correct drive shafts, or custom made if it’s not going into anything that ever came from the factory that way.

Anyway, it’s kind of like old hot rider guys knew that over a certain HP number, you wanted to go from a TH350 to a TH400. But that doesn’t mean that with enough $$ that you can’t replace everything inside of a TH350 to make it hold more power. It just isn’t very cost effective to do it.