1995 silverado leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
So I have what seems to be diff fluid leaking in the front of my 95 silverado. The problem is the diff fluid level is full. The fluid smells like diff fluid and is clearer in color, and not red like trans. Any idea where it's coming from? Or what I should look for on this truck?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you sure the diff is leaking? How do you know it is full? Removed fill plug and the fluid should be right below the hole, on level ground. You may have steering fluid leakage. Is everything above the diff completely dry?

Kylebg94

Reaction score
That's a good point, because the truck has been making some noise when turning. And the steering wheel is a little off with play in it when turning too. I'm going to check the fluid tomorrow in it the reservoir. And the fluid again at the bottom to try and find where it's leaking from. The truck needs alot of work. I need 4 tires, a set of ujoints because I have a bad u joint in the back. That's clunking in reverse, vibration at high speed. And squealing/ click noise upon accelerating, but stops letting off the gas. I got a real good video of that happening. And the shop diagnosis said it was a ujoint as well. The sway bars are disconnected for some reason. It needs shocks too lol. The transmission fluid is still bright red though. And it barely Burns oil. I guess we can say that's good. It had a new rear main seal put in it about 2 years ago.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check your power steering lines/hoses to see if they are wet anywhere, indicating a leak. Check the connection areas, clamps and threaded fittings. Check the front seal behind the pulley and check the reservoir seal.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have what seems to be diff fluid leaking in the front of my 95 silverado. The problem is the diff fluid level is full. The fluid smells like diff fluid and is clearer in color, and not red like trans. Any idea where it's coming from? Or what I should look for on this truck?
Why would you post that in the "ENGINES" section of the forum?