1991 c2500 , can it tow 6000lbs trailer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds like baloney, honestly. They put transmission temperature gauge in all 2500/3500 in later generations of these trucks, probably to help tell the driver when it was time to pull over if temperature of fluid got too hot. But in reality, the 4L80e would be the least of your worries, they hold up very well pulling heavy loads, and at the end of the day 7,000 lb is not a ginormous number.

This^^^

It is a bunch of baloney a trans builder would say such a thing.......

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only one mention of brakes? I'd be willing to bet more people are killed from inadequate brakes than by cooked trannies or slow ascent of big hills. Guess which one the DOT checks.
Good truck brakes and trailer brakes would be required.

Edmduncan

Reaction score
Only one mention of brakes? I'd be willing to bet more people are killed from inadequate brakes than by cooked trannies or slow ascent of big hills. Guess which one the DOT checks.
Good truck brakes and trailer brakes would be required.
Brakes are huge concern if mine. Not that the trucks are inadequate but just to make sure my controller is working, I have been tuning the controller every tow just to make sure they are working on the trailer and responsive.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brakes are huge concern if mine. Not that the trucks are inadequate but just to make sure my controller is working, I have been tuning the controller every tow just to make sure they are working on the trailer and responsive.

I have surge brakes and do a quick backup to check them before I leave.
I am looking at selling the two surge trailers for one new electric brake trailer. I like being able to test anytime with the controller.
Stock 400's are not great for brakes, but will be fine if kept in good shape. Trailers tend to be neglected, I have seen some really bad trailer brakes come in the shop.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should be clear to anyone pulling a trailer that you no longer can just drive down the street with half your mind on something else like most people do... You have to think like a semi driver, and your full attention should be on what TF if happening around you. You should know whats going on 4 cars a head of you, and 4 cars behind... and what is that nut doing on your left and right.

Even the worst brakes work amazingly well when your in this mind set.

Edmduncan

Reaction score
It should be clear to anyone pulling a trailer that you no longer can just drive down the street with half your mind on something else like most people do... You have to think like a semi driver, and your full attention should be on what TF if happening around you. You should know whats going on 4 cars a head of you, and 4 cars behind... and what is that nut doing on your left and right.

Even the worst brakes work amazingly well when your in this mind set.

Your exactly right , I'm always checking side to side clearance and making sure I have gracious car lengths ahead of me. I've always been good at assessing everything around me , with a trailer its 10x also it is stressful lol.
Like riding my motorcycle I have to predict everyone else's actions.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely Amen HawkDsl. When I'm towing I figure every car I can see or can't see is going to end up in my lane. Got great brakes now with the '94 K1500 and Trail Cruiser, but in the '80's and early '90's towed with a 1965 Chevy Van, brakes off of a Chevy II. Used the trailer brakes a lot but knew I would need lots of room to stop, super attentive, of course with the cab forward flat front windshield, could see a lot more quicker.

mykytiuk

Reaction score
Hello! I own a ‘94 3500 crew cab 4x4 long box srw (heavy truck) with the 350 TBI bone stock and regularly tow a 5000 lb travel trailer with the box loaded with stuff! There are times when another couple hundred foot pounds of torque would be handy but I always get there without plugging up the road. Flat country is best and you will barely be keeping up with the loaded big trucks in the hills. It will be fine! Motor On!!!!!!!

Tomcat58

Reaction score
Yup I asked him about puttng in a trans temp guage and he said it wasn't worth it. By the time it gets hot enough to be a warning the damage is already done. Maybe because I already have a trans cooler on it , and a guage would be over kill. I don't know I am abiding by what he said though he is one of the best in the city and has had a few of these trucks himself. I know it sounds odd but I'm trusting in his advice, maybe next yr in spring I will
Look into it again.