04 Suburban 2500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd gusset those tabs! Right now they're just looking for an opportunity to flex and break off.

Also, it looks like you didn't clean that metal before you welded. Don't blame the flux core if you didn't.
How should I gusset them, run a longer tab between the two?
And the area was grinded down to clean, bare metal before welding. I did some research and perhaps my settings were off.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got her stuck Saturday. Thats what happens when your tires like to dig, and there is no front driveshaft installed. Had my dad bring over my pickup and I yanked it right out. I think i'm also going to invest in a yankum rope. They are far superior to your average tow strap. Also thinking about adding a winch to this thing.
You must be registered for see images attach

Got home, gave her a bath!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How should I gusset them, run a longer tab between the two?
The picture looks like those tabs are just stuck on the bottom of the crossmember, and there's nothing to keep them from flexing up and down. I'd cut four tabs to put upright on the outside edges of those tabs, up the back of that crossmember. Alternatively if you have a tubing notcher, cut those bars an inch shorter and weld them onto the crossmember directly.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took a long drive all the way to Montauk this past weekend. Truck did great except for the low oil pressure. It wasn't low enough to trigger the light, but low enough to make me take it in today.

I had the mechanic put in a new sending unit, and change the oil to something thicker (as well as an additive). He found metal in the oil which is an indicator of worn internals. I've always kept up with my oil changes, and almost 240k isn't terribly high- or is it for a 6.0?
My plan is to just run it till she quits. Then solid axle the rig and either do a duramax or cummins swap. Full sized wheeling rig. But it would sit for awhile till I do so...sadly money doesn't grow on trees.
Taking her to Bloomsburg 4x4 Jamboree this weekend, should be a good time!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Our '06 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.0 has around 205-206K on it, has had low oil pressure issues for the last several years we drove it. Once it was warmed up, it would behave. I've been told there's a screen on the oil pressure sending unit, that gets clogged with higher miles. Never messed with it; the truck has enough other issues that I just don't want to deal with it anymore.
I tried to change the oil more frequently than the computer says to, and I never saw much glitter on the drain plug or in the used oil. All we'd done to it was two water pumps and several oil and filter changes.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our '06 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.0 has around 205-206K on it, has had low oil pressure issues for the last several years we drove it. Once it was warmed up, it would behave. I've been told there's a screen on the oil pressure sending unit, that gets clogged with higher miles. Never messed with it; the truck has enough other issues that I just don't want to deal with it anymore.
I tried to change the oil more frequently than the computer says to, and I never saw much glitter on the drain plug or in the used oil. All we'd done to it was two water pumps and several oil and filter changes.
Yep, I had the screen/filter replaced as they should come with the sending unit. Before that, it would start higher and drop as i drove. Some days were better than others.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bloomsburg was fun! Ran into the guy who I used to hang out with back in the day at local truck meets. His truck was the inspiration to build mine similar. He's got the same lift, but running 46" tires. And he's got the 8.1 (jealous!).

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also on the way home, we stopped in NJ to eat and go to the Delaware Water Gap recreation area. Going up a steep hill, a coolant line let go and the truck overheated. I can't figure out if it was because of age, heat from the motor due to alot of steep hills, or both. Had to wait for my dad to drive out from home to bring me a new connector and coolant. Installed it in the pouring rain...fun. He's been a major help coming to the rescue these past couple times. Id be screwed otherwise.
And today, my exhaust broke at a hanger....so much fun. I guess exhaust is now on the list, the current set up is too small. From the cats on, it's 2.5". I'd like 3" all the way.....

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also on the way home, we stopped in NJ to eat and go to the Delaware Water Gap recreation area. Going up a steep hill, a coolant line let go and the truck overheated. I can't figure out if it was because of age, heat from the motor due to alot of steep hills, or both. Had to wait for my dad to drive out from home to bring me a new connector and coolant. Installed it in the pouring rain...fun. He's been a major help coming to the rescue these past couple times. Id be screwed otherwise.
And today, my exhaust broke at a hanger....so much fun. I guess exhaust is now on the list, the current set up is too small. From the cats on, it's 2.5". I'd like 3" all the way.....
Those connectors break all the time. Keep a couple spares in the back for backup. I’ve replaced probably 100 at work in the past 6-7 years.