New member with a k2500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svrh89

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have been reading through this website for awhile as I have had my new to me suburban for a few months. I bought a 1997 k2500 suburban w/ the vortec 7.4 for the purpose of building a awesome looking rig to pull my BBQ trailer for my business.

It is in both rough and good shape. paint like any typical obs is shot and has several leaks that I am addressing; however, lacks any serious rust (that I have seen so far).

I have already done some work to it such as transmission gasket and filter kit, new barn door seals, new front grill, light housings, cheap tow mirrors, and some place holder stock wheels while I sort out what I want this truck to run on.

I am also working on the interior; the previous owner was doing some heavy mudding on this rig and so the entire interior is going to be torn out and cleaned with carpets being replaced. I have started with the rear end of the vehicle; I plan to build custom panels for the back with a spot for storage and a sub box. I also plan to delete the custom rack on top; as I think its ugly and pointless with the huge 6 inch lift this has.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have been reading through this website for awhile as I have had my new to me suburban for a few months. I bought a 1997 k2500 suburban w/ the vortec 7.4 for the purpose of building a awesome looking rig to pull my BBQ trailer for my business.

It is in both rough and good shape. paint like any typical obs is shot and has several leaks that I am addressing; however, lacks any serious rust (that I have seen so far).

I have already done some work to it such as transmission gasket and filter kit, new barn door seals, new front grill, light housings, cheap tow mirrors, and some place holder stock wheels while I sort out what I want this truck to run on.

I am also working on the interior; the previous owner was doing some heavy mudding on this rig and so the entire interior is going to be torn out and cleaned with carpets being replaced. I have started with the rear end of the vehicle; I plan to build custom panels for the back with a spot for storage and a sub box. I also plan to delete the custom rack on top; as I think its ugly and pointless with the huge 6 inch lift this has.

That picture and angle really shows how much acreage is in the back of a Burb, doesn't it?
Love this project, I am a big Burb/4 door fan and I love to see them working. Agreed on the rack delete; unless you are really tall and have a stepstool it's difficult even on a stock height truck to get stuff on/off the roof rack.
The factory GMT 800 (2000-2007) aluminum wheels (PY0 option code) are good solid wheels with a factory polished, clearcoat finish. Of course after 20+ years many are not that nice anymore! I had a very nice set that I was going to put on my last square body Burb, and then I sold the truck before the wheels got on it. I sold them last year, before I got my crew cab; been looking for another set but can't find any when I have $$$ to buy them.
How is the BBQ business in Montana? Down here in Texas, everyone has their own spin on it...mostly brisket, ribs, sausage and chicken but lots of variety of styles.

svrh89

Reaction score
That picture and angle really shows how much acreage is in the back of a Burb, doesn't it?
Love this project, I am a big Burb/4 door fan and I love to see them working. Agreed on the rack delete; unless you are really tall and have a stepstool it's difficult even on a stock height truck to get stuff on/off the roof rack.
The factory GMT 800 (2000-2007) aluminum wheels (PY0 option code) are good solid wheels with a factory polished, clearcoat finish. Of course after 20+ years many are not that nice anymore! I had a very nice set that I was going to put on my last square body Burb, and then I sold the truck before the wheels got on it. I sold them last year, before I got my crew cab; been looking for another set but can't find any when I have $$$ to buy them.
How is the BBQ business in Montana? Down here in Texas, everyone has their own spin on it...mostly brisket, ribs, sausage and chicken but lots of variety of styles.
I originally Planned on going with this same wheel set you mentioned but it is not easy finding any gm factory wheels up here let alone any that aren't way overpriced. so decided on just some basic solid steel black rims. BBQ business does well up here although very seasonal. I have offset smoker on a trailer and it is not insulated for winter smoking lol.
I attached a photo of when I bought it. its been modified since but i don't have any photos of it uploaded on this computer.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 6

Danimal08

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

So much room for activities!