Worth upgrading to GMT800?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Some Guy with a GM, Jun 4, 2019.

1. OutlawDrifter

OutlawDrifter I'm Awesome

Stay away from the 5.4...too many issues that WILL happen. (I have owned one)

You are on a GMT400 site, 97% of the people here will tell you to stay with the 400.

Having owned everything from a squarebody to a GMT900, I'll give you my 2 pennies.

If it doesn't see much mileage, keep the 400. The seat can be recovered, the paint can be fixed, and you can add air bags or helper springs to the back. A weight distributing hitch and 10 ply tires will make it more stable towing.

The debate between the 5.7l and 5.3l towing is a wash. The 5.7 has low end grunt because the torque curve starts sooner, the 5.3l needs higher rpm to get into its curve. Took me a while to realize the 6.0l I was driving needed some rpm and couldn't be "lugged". Interior, I prefer the GMT400 looks, but my GMT800 Vortec Max is very comfortable to travel in, but cheap looking. Brakes...here is the one place the GMT400 CAN NOT (in stock form) touch the GMT800! GMT400 brakes (non hydroboost) suck, period, GM engineers will even admit that!

In the end, it's your money, do with it what you please. I've got 3 out of 4 kids left in the house, when I'm down to 1 or 2, I'll pull the drivetrain out of the Vortec Max and put it in a RCSB 2WD Sierra....

billy bee and 94burbk1500 like this.
  2. billy bee

billy bee Newbie

Well, I did it. I have not sold my '96 K1500, but I did buy this '01 2500HD CCSB:

[​IMG]

Again, not intending to hijack this thread, but I am wondering if there is a decent GMT800 forum. I have been searching and have not found anything as good as this GMT400 forum. That's one good reason to stick with a GMT400...

bb

JackE likes this.
  3. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

I don't see an Allison badge. . .

4. scottydl

scottydl OBS Enthusiast

I'd love to hear more about your perspective between the two generations, and heavy towing. Feel free to put them in this thread I started: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/when-my-gmt400-isnt-enough.45567/

5. drive135mph

drive135mph Newbie

My 2 cents, I'm a mechanic and at least among my customers both 400 and 800 trucks seem to hang in there really well. the interiors are cheap in both truck but the big difference comes down to parts cost. SBC parts are almost free and they are really easy to work on so the bills tend to be a little smaller. the LS trucks are much more efficient and modern and respond better to upgrades. The trade off for the efficiency is that the small displacement LS motors feel like a 2 stroke next to the 5.7 and the 7.4 when towing. It's not a big deal they still get the job done but they just have to get on cam to do it.

I know the 5.4 gets bad rap. Some of that is well deserved, but if they're well maintained they do hang in there. They are not my platform of choice but i regularly work on fleet examples with over 300k on them and occasionally see examples with close to 500k. I still don't recommend them but I'll still take a well maintained, full paperwork 5.4 over a used and abused 5.7.

My personal rig is 94 burb with a 7.4. It's ugly but it never lets me down and it rarely costs much to maintain. I definitely prefer how the 7.4 feels compared the 6.0 and compared to the 4 valve 5.4 in my navigator. I also like that I can use the truck with the confidence that if i do break something it's not going to be a real financial hit and i'm not going not find myself upside down on a car loan. one lat point is that the gmt 400 doesn't depreciate so when you go to sell it you literally get all you money back. the same can't really be said of the gmt 800

CCLB3500 likes this.
  6. PlayingWithTBI

PlayingWithTBI Desert Old Guy

Have you checked this forum out? It covers just about all platforms including 400 & 800. Still not as good as gmt400.com IMO.

https://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/find-new/140566458/posts