Rear axel payload upgrade solutions 95 c3500HD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
454 will haul the freight, especially in this platform. It's just rather thirsty doing it. One reason when I was hunting for a 400 pickup, 2500 or 3500, I didn't want one(I figured at least part of the time it'd be dailied). The 350 in my '97 C3500 crew cab fits my needs well(at 21 feet it doesn't fit in a parking garage though!).

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are rated at 15k. The axles are rated at 5k front and 11k rear. This one is ours, it weighs in at 9k with both tanks full and me in it.
You must be registered for see images attach

McDermott

Reaction score
I have had this problem myself . I formally did onsite equipment repair using Chevy 3500 duallys . The first was 89 R3500 ( square body style) cab and chassis , the second was 92 c3500 7.4 pick up body , changed to flatbed . I kept the weight of both to just under 10,000 for dot reasons .
They both had 14 bolt w/10.5 ring gears and both suffered from the same constant and ongoing failures of the outer rear axle bearings. Both trucks had heavier springs to compensate for the additional weight , both had the 14k brake system . And what I was able to find out is the 14 bolt was rated for the that amount of weight , but was at the maximum 100% of the time. I had the axle walk out of the rear end a hand full of times , studs break , wheels fall off with almost no warning . Eventually I swapped the entire rear end over to a Dana70 HD that I had the guys at hillbilly wizard set up for me. I never had a problem ever again . Later I discovered that my old axle tubes were flexing and adding additional pressure to the outer bearing causing the problem . I could have welded supports or purchased a truss kit ( such as this )

The stock 14 bolt has a 3” tube and the dana70 HD has a 3.5” tube ( extra 1/4 thickness ).
I don’t regret changing to the dana70 HD , but in hind site I would have welded on a truss for a less expensive option .
But hillbilly wizard will set up the rear end exactly how you want it including any ratio changes , locking or open dif , spring mounting option because it will be set up for your truck . I did have to have the drive shaft shortened because the Dana 70 HD is larger.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have had this problem myself . I formally did onsite equipment repair using Chevy 3500 duallys . The first was 89 R3500 ( square body style) cab and chassis , the second was 92 c3500 7.4 pick up body , changed to flatbed . I kept the weight of both to just under 10,000 for dot reasons .
They both had 14 bolt w/10.5 ring gears and both suffered from the same constant and ongoing failures of the outer rear axle bearings. Both trucks had heavier springs to compensate for the additional weight , both had the 14k brake system . And what I was able to find out is the 14 bolt was rated for the that amount of weight , but was at the maximum 100% of the time. I had the axle walk out of the rear end a hand full of times , studs break , wheels fall off with almost no warning . Eventually I swapped the entire rear end over to a Dana70 HD that I had the guys at hillbilly wizard set up for me. I never had a problem ever again . Later I discovered that my old axle tubes were flexing and adding additional pressure to the outer bearing causing the problem . I could have welded supports or purchased a truss kit ( such as this )

The stock 14 bolt has a 3” tube and the dana70 HD has a 3.5” tube ( extra 1/4 thickness ).
I don’t regret changing to the dana70 HD , but in hind site I would have welded on a truss for a less expensive option .
But hillbilly wizard will set up the rear end exactly how you want it including any ratio changes , locking or open dif , spring mounting option because it will be set up for your truck . I did have to have the drive shaft shortened because the Dana 70 HD is larger.
The 3500HD has a super tough Dana 80 (or a few very early models got a Rockwell-sourced axle) - not the 14 bolt.

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is a 3500HD group on Facebook that is fairly active.

I just checked this out and the group was started by Gavin Stubbs. He hasn't been here in awhile but he is a member. Unfortunately I can't quite remember his username.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just checked this out and the group was started by Gavin Stubbs. He hasn't been here in awhile but he is a member. Unfortunately I can't quite remember his username.
I don't know why I can't tag him but here he is.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I don't know why I can't tag him but here he is.
Yup it says he hasn't been on since Oct.'22.....