Rear axel payload upgrade solutions 95 c3500HD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mooreATL

Reaction score
After looking at several forums and using search I am copy pasting my question in serval forums seeking aide.

So the wife and I bought a 1995 gmc Sierra 3500HD dually with a flatbed and rails for our small business to haul around commercial kitchen equipment (the stuff weighs more than someone would think!). It's GVWR is Class 4: 14,001 - 16,000 lb.

When I got it I thought "Great! Thats more than enough room to fill the 12x8 flatbed!". What I didn't think about was weight distribution, the fat mat people use trailers, and that our weight will go primarily on the bed! We plan to install a lift gate at the back which will add just under 800lbs, and we intend to haul items WITHIN THE MANUFACTURERS WEIGHT RATING (for insurance purposes) but i doing research about hauling weight I discovered that there is a separate axel rating!!!

I Was hoping that someone could help me figure out how to increase the payload capacity of just my rear axel (frame is not an issue from what I can tell, and tires will match the weight limit), so that we don't have to worry about damaging the truck, or god forbid causing an accident because an axel breaks. I know trailers usually make sense for people but our pickup and dropsoffs need a lift gate to load/unload pallets/equipment at ground and dock height.

Why I didn't get a commercial truck, or a box truck to begin with? Cost!
We have only been in business 4 months but our present cash flow allowed us to drop 5.6k on a used 95 Sierra with less than 50k miles... Renting dock height (26ft) box trucks as a small startup is extremely expensive, especially since we have never come close to filling up all that space. In 4 months we have spent $4k on rentals, and this truck will help us grow at a lower cost for the first year until we can purchase a truck that meets our needs a year in.

Please don't lump me in with the dangerous hot shooters and incompetent 5th wheelers who go 3X beyond their rating. I am just trying to make sure my money maker is safe, and doesn't break. I am aware a stronger Axel doesn't increase my rating!

With all the context out of the way, what options do I have to upgrade the duallys rear axel payload capacity that could fit my truck? Guessing from my 2 days of trolling boards I may need new springs but that's as fas as ive gotten ‍.

Could anyone please help?

Vin# 1GDKC34N3SJ523321 if that helps with the answers people could provide.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're overthinking this. The only time axle weight will become an issue is if you're at a commercial (DOT) truck scale, or you get stopped by a cop who has or calls the portables. Load it up (within reason) and go on with it.
As mentioned, making sure it stops safely is more important.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If you have the heaviest parts of the load ahead of, and just over, the axle this will help with how the truck handles the load, and handling period.

mooreATL

Reaction score
So I do not need to worry about the total weight on the bed destroying the suspension/axle etc. As long as I stay within my GVWR?

I was hoping to inch my theoretical, non rated gross capacity (as stated above on the flatbed) up to ensure smooth operations doing equipment pickup.

To be clear, I do not need to worry about an ounce of preventative work to stave off a pound of repair work?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome,

Have you calculated what your typical heavier loads would be, specifically, and how close does that come to the rear axle weight rating?

Those HD's are seriously tough trucks; I've owned and operated several - all as wreckers. They're sprung super heavy especially in the rear, to the point they're a pain to drive when unloaded. The rear axle is a Dana 80 (or a Rockwell in some of the first year trucks but by your year model they had long since switched to Dana 80) and is very durable.

As far as brakes go, there's "wrecker package" brakes with dual pistons but I'm not sure yet just what the advantage is, or if it increased the GVWR at all. The good news is the calipers are readily available as rebuilds and are around $40-$60/ea, and the same part # fits all four corners. A little more investigation might turn up an RPO code for this brake package.

For some clarification: piston diameter on the single-piston calipers: 86.4mm. Piston diameter on dual-piston calipers: 66mm, so a total of 132mm.

Richard

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I do not need to worry about the total weight on the bed destroying the suspension/axle etc. As long as I stay within my GVWR?
Correct
I was hoping to inch my theoretical, non rated gross capacity (as stated above on the flatbed) up to ensure smooth operations doing equipment pickup.

To be clear, I do not need to worry about an ounce of preventative work to stave off a pound of repair work?
If you indeed have a 3500HD you'll be fine. Post a picture of it, but like @someotherguy says, they're tough.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Correct

If you indeed have a 3500HD you'll be fine. Post a picture of it, but like @someotherguy says, they're tough.
From the VIN it's definitely a real HD. 4th digit K = 14-16K GVWR. Also 8th digit N is the 7.4 so no crummy diesel worries. :)

Found the truck too.. manual trans!

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

mooreATL

Reaction score
Welcome,

Have you calculated what your typical heavier loads would be, specifically, and how close does that come to the rear axle weight rating?

Those HD's are seriously tough trucks; I've owned and operated several - all as wreckers. They're sprung super heavy especially in the rear, to the point they're a pain to drive when unloaded. The rear axle is a Dana 80 (or a Rockwell in some of the first year trucks but by your year model they had long since switched to Dana 80) and is very durable.

As far as brakes go, there's "wrecker package" brakes with dual pistons but I'm not sure yet just what the advantage is, or if it increased the GVWR at all. The good news is the calipers are readily available as rebuilds and are around $40-$60/ea, and the same part # fits all four corners. A little more investigation might turn up an RPO code for this brake package.

Richard
I found the rears GAWR a few days ago and can't seem to find it today, but I remember there being a significant gap between gvwr, and how much I could add to the flatbed, that's wha made me start looking into possible upgrades.

The weight of what I haul will vary from 0lbs - 100lbs under what the vehicle is rated for ( Some days I'll secure one or many large or small items, so id have to do basic math for each trip depending on what's needed to secure the load in the flatbed).

I know I overthink things a lot, but I've seen enough YouTube videos of people not thinking at all and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

As for the braking, I will spend a little extra when it needs maintenance I intend to improve it with any affordable advancements created in the past 28 years.

mooreATL

Reaction score
From the VIN it's definitely a real HD. 4th digit K = 14-16K GVWR. Also 8th digit N is the 7.4 so no crummy diesel worries. :)

Found the truck too.. manual trans!

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Hahahaha yeah, I go to pick it up Monday, so I won't be able to post my photos until next week