Rear axel payload upgrade solutions 95 c3500HD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I overthink things a lot, but I've seen enough YouTube videos of people not thinking at all and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
No worries, asking questions is always welcome.
As for the braking, I will spend a little extra when it needs maintenance I intend to improve it with any affordable advancements created in the past 28 years.
Sounds reasonable.

mooreATL

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's feedback, I'll report in after the my mechanic gives it a complete lookover, to figure out the best and most cost effective small changes I can do to secure loads.

Oh, after I pick the vehicle up Monday, my father who drives for a living is going to teach me how to drive a manual transmission, and Ill have 500 miles to practice through the mountains after my crash course .

Y'all seem like a pretty healthy online community. That's a breath of fresh air!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's feedback, I'll report in after the my mechanic gives it a complete lookover, to figure out the best and most cost effective small changes I can do to secure loads.

Oh, after I pick the vehicle up Monday, my father who drives for a living is going to teach me how to drive a manual transmission, and Ill have 500 miles to practice through the mountains after my crash course .

Y'all seem like a pretty healthy online community. That's a breath of fresh air!
Whew! A 3500HD as your first manual trans.. mine was my very first car, a '65 Impala with a 4 speed. I taught myself to drive manual in that car. Coulda used some guidance but I got it done. ;) Just take it slow, especially the shifts, that NV4500 transmission isn't sporty by any means and will have a relatively heavy shift "feel." They're tough transmissions but do have their issues; if it grinds between any of the shifts it will need attention before it gets worse. The one in my '93 3500 currently grinds between 1st-2nd so I've been double-clutching to ease it between gears.

There used to be a great 3500HD-specific web forum (3500HD dot com) but being a sleepy niche forum, the guy that ran it finally shut it down due to hosting costs and the headaches that come from running a web forum (spammers, hacks, etc.) A few of the regular members there are here as well, so there's some 3500HD-specific knowledge carried over, and you'll find a few here are working on their own 3500HD projects. You probably did find the best place to be, IMO, for these trucks. :)

Richard

mooreATL

Reaction score
Whew! A 3500HD as your first manual trans.. mine was my very first car, a '65 Impala with a 4 speed. I taught myself to drive manual in that car. Coulda used some guidance but I got it done. ;) Just take it slow, especially the shifts, that NV4500 transmission isn't sporty by any means and will have a relatively heavy shift "feel." They're tough transmissions but do have their issues; if it grinds between any of the shifts it will need attention before it gets worse. The one in my '93 3500 currently grinds between 1st-2nd so I've been double-clutching to ease it between gears.

There used to be a great 3500HD-specific web forum (3500HD dot com) but being a sleepy niche forum, the guy that ran it finally shut it down due to hosting costs and the headaches that come from running a web forum (spammers, hacks, etc.) A few of the regular members there are here as well, so there's some 3500HD-specific knowledge carried over, and you'll find a few here are working on their own 3500HD projects. You probably did find the best place to be, IMO, for these trucks. :)

Richard
I saw a really old link to that 3500hd dot com website and it was broken, so I did the best I could to scrape the net for backups, but I failed miserably. If the data still exists out there I'd love to find it because a simple search could do me wonders before I go asking for help.

Do you know if the previous owner or mods are active on any forums in 2023?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I saw a really old link to that 3500hd dot com website and it was broken, so I did the best I could to scrape the net for backups, but I failed miserably. If the data still exists out there I'd love to find it because a simple search could do me wonders before I go asking for help.

Do you know if the previous owner or mods are active on any forums in 2023?
Ed (the operator of the old site) has pretty much dropped out of sight as far as I can tell. He also operated a forum for old hot rods that I'm not sure if it is still up.

I'm one of the old moderators from there but it really was such a sleepy forum that it didn't require much in the way of moderation.

Richard

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stick no problem you just need a feel for it. Don't worry you will get fast.
I learned to drive a stick in my grandpa's 58 Apache, 235ci, 3sp with worn out synchros. I learned how to double clutch from day 1.

mooreATL

Reaction score
Ed (the operator of the old site) has pretty much dropped out of sight as far as I can tell. He also operated a forum for old hot rods that I'm not sure if it is still up.

I'm one of the old moderators from there but it really was such a sleepy forum that it didn't require much in the way of moderation.

Richard
Would you have any leads for a text backup version of the forum, or where I could find any backups?

The world loses so much valuable information from forums on a daily basis.... It's like the modern burning of Alexandria, except it's a slower quieter loss of information.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Would you have any leads for a text backup version of the forum, or where I could find any backups?

The world loses so much valuable information from forums on a daily basis.... It's like the modern burning of Alexandria, except it's a slower quieter loss of information.
I found myself saying that a lot back when usenet was still "the" place for discussion of various topics. As web forums, and then social media, have all but pushed it into total obsolescence, even the stuff we felt might last forever on usenet is becoming harder to access. For those too young to know what I'm talking about, you might recognize "google groups" - that's a web interface for an enormous, infinitely varied text-based system that predates the WWW by about a decade, 1980..

You could try reaching Ed if his email is still active - borderdrop at aol dot com - I think that's his email; it should be listed on the front page of the archive results you found.

Richard