Worth upgrading to GMT800?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both vehicles are hydroboost, and pulling my trailer (around 5,500lbs to 6,500lbs) The brakes seem to be better on the later model.

I'm not saying you can't make the brakes work better on the older vehicle, but in my experience stock vs stock on both my 98 1500 vs my 2002 1500 and my 99 2500 vs 2003 2500 the newer brakes have a better feel and seem to stop better. All 4 vehicles have AC Delco pads rotors.

My 97 Express van was a 1500 but has a full 2002 3500 van driveline, suspension and brakes under it. The front calipers and pads I have are stock for an 01 or 02 van. The rotors are the same thickness as a DRW truck and the front calipers are DRW truck. They would be an easy bolt on upgrade for an older 8 lug 2 wheel drive truck. Has a hydroboost and master cylinder from an 05 3500 Van. Uses larger pistons and provides very good pedal feel. I like the rear drum setups better than the rear disc towing because they seem to last alot longer and stop just as well. I have had about 8,500 lbs behind it with trailer brakes and a Prodigy controller. Stops were always quick and smooth. Even Uhauls surge brakes work fairly well except they have a tendency to lockup on a hard brake application.

Last edited:

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fair enough, but you always quote your vehicle which is not stock. You can upgrade the components on any vehicle and make an improvement even if you use off the shelf parts.

I am explaining my experience with 2 completely stock braking systems just from different generations.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask for some 2 cents on this.

We have a 98 Tahoe with about 120k miles that's getting a bit old (drivetrain great, seats, body, little plastic things not so much).

We bought it to tow a light trailer, but now we have a larger 18ft tent trailer - (2k empty/3500lbs max) and that plus the kids, gear etc - it's still great for local camping, but we are planning on some longer trips, so I was thinking of getting something newer/fresher and with a longer wheelbase.

The catch is I don't want to spend too much as we don't use the truck that often.

I was looking at at 2006 Crew Cab GMT800 Sierra with the 4.8, and a Crew Cab 2010 2WD Sierra GMT900.

Is it worth upgrading to a longer wheelbase GMT800 or GMT900 Suburban or Sierra/Silverado Crew Cab? Is the 4.8 good enough for our needs?

I also was looking at a 2006 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 Triton, but I don't know Fords as well and I've read some less than rave reviews about that motor.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask for some 2 cents on this.

We have a 98 Tahoe with about 120k miles that's getting a bit old (drivetrain great, seats, body, little plastic things not so much).

We bought it to tow a light trailer, but now we have a larger 18ft tent trailer - (2k empty/3500lbs max) and that plus the kids, gear etc - it's still great for local camping, but we are planning on some longer trips, so I was thinking of getting something newer/fresher and with a longer wheelbase.

The catch is I don't want to spend too much as we don't use the truck that often.

I was looking at at 2006 Crew Cab GMT800 Sierra with the 4.8, and a Crew Cab 2010 2WD Sierra GMT900.

Is it worth upgrading to a longer wheelbase GMT800 or GMT900 Suburban or Sierra/Silverado Crew Cab? Is the 4.8 good enough for our needs?

I also was looking at a 2006 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 Triton, but I don't know Fords as well and I've read some less than rave reviews about that motor.
From what I've heard you do not want a Ford Triton. My cousin works for a metropolitan fleet and he hates them. There's too many poorly designed parts and components and they're a Real pita to work on

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I thought their only weakness was blowing out spark plugs and otherwise they ran gutless and forever?