Worth upgrading to GMT800?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An equalizer hitch will go a long ways towards lightening the load on the rear of the Tahoe, and will make things pull straighter--especially in a crosswind.

10 ply tires on the Tahoe won't "squirm" as much either.

I have 96 and 97 K1500 ECSB's with the 5.7 (250-255 hp). And a 01 Sierra ECSB with the 5.3 (285 hp) All three trucks have 4L60E's, 3.73 gears, Firestone Transforce AT LT265-75/16's, and camper shells.

Stoplight to stoplight the Sierra is quicker than the 5.7's. When it comes time to pull a long hill going up the pass at 9000 ft altitude the 5.7's pull better than the 5.3. The 5.7's have a wider power band, hold a gear longer before down shifting, and don't hunt and peck through the gears as much.

The 4.8 would be a cool motor to have in a 2wd short box truck. They also get great fuel mileage for the hp they produced. Too bad GM dropped those engines. But the 4.8 would most likely be pretty underwhelming pulling a trailer.

Can't help you on the peeling clearcoat--the solution is expensive no matter how you cut it.........:(

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I might look into an equalization hitch, a bit tricky to find for a lighter trailer but they are out there.

I'm thinking that upgrading to a GMT800 doesn't make sense, unless MAYBE a stellar Suburban/Yukon XL shows. Good thoughts on the 4.8. I'll probably keep her going until I'm ready for a truck at least a couple of generations newer.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 05 has been a damn reliable rig. 1500 series reg cab long box 4x4, with the 4.8. Getting close to crossing the 250,000mi mark. It’s hauled a lot, pulls my car trailer just fine. Has gotten me through some brutal winter storms. BUT the ls engine is a different animal. They rev, and love to do so. Once I got used to the fact that she’s gonna sit at 5500 pulling hills with a loaded trailer, life has been grand. Honestly the only thing I don’t like is the electric shift tcase. I’d just rather have a lever on the floor.

That said, unless there’s something majorly wrong with the Tahoe, I’d just make a few upgrades, and repairs. Only reason I jumped ship was my 95 k1500 frame went south.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
...I also was looking at a 2006 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 Triton, but I don't know Fords as well and I've read some less than rave reviews about that motor.
Nope, just nope. That 5.4 is indeed just junk. Was yet another modern engineering mistake. Two piece spark plugs, mile long timing chain, twin cams, terrible exhaust manifold design that rots out and camphaser crap that doesn't hold up over the long haul. 1991-1997ish Ford trucks are all I'd buy and have bought and all I'd recommend. Although Ford has acknowledged that 5.4 & 4.6 were mistakes because now they've built a 7.3 or 7.4 gasser and guess what? It's two valves per cylinder, single cam in block and doesn't have a mile long timing chain. Perfect for a truck and a true time tested design for over 60 years now. Just because it's "old" doesn't mean it's obsolete.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On paper the 800 is better in every way. The difference really comes down to personal preference and longevity. As cheap and versatile as the gmt400 platform is there's no reason you can't put a million miles on one, as long as the frame don't split.

On the other hand. Seeing how the iron block 5.3 is the most desirable engine in the world right now. Good luck finding one at a junkyard in 5 years

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I'd say yes, but there's a few key things stopping me:

1. I can't find a GMT800 that isn't overpriced or beat to hell. It's one extreme or the other. If you find one somewhere in the middle, it's a 250k+ engine/transmission that's still reaching for 5k or more.
2. The interior just feels cheap. I'll stick to my classic 88-94 dash (that miraculously made it to 2019 without cracking or busting up, fingers crossed) but I guess that's just personal preference at this point.
3. I'm not a fan of how rounded everything is on the truck. The "cat eye" Silverado/Sierras aren't bad, I just love the boxy look of the GMT400 (and square bodies).
4. Ignoring the SBC vs. LS arguments, I enjoy having an abundance of cheap SBC parts because everyone wants to build an LS these days and it seems SBC builders are switching over as well. Who doesn't love cheap, unwanted parts?

But then again, I'm biased as can be. I love old school stuff, so I'll always have that Pre-99 Chevy/GMC blood in me.

Personal preference is really your only true answer here, but then again:

You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't read all the responses but in my opinion assuming both trucks have been well maintained the GMT400 > GMT800 in almost every way. I've had several 400's over the years and a few 800's. Yes, the motors in the 800's are peppier and more fuel efficient but there's nothing wrong with the tried and true 350. Those engines are bulletproof and very few people buy these trucks for fuel efficiencies or for the horsetorques. I'd just keep what you have, make sure it's up on all it's maintenance items and save your money. These things will last forever when taken care of.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2 on what you said. I have had a coup!e of 4.8 trucks drove many 5.3 and the feel gutlass. High reving motors. yes. But I like my truck motors with torque. I don't want to have to go to 5k.

Reaction score
I myself would stick with the 400. I don't like the way the 5.3 drives/feels, I miss the low end torque the 5.7 has. Most parts on the 400s are plentiful and inexpensive and most repairs are relatively easy.
Plus GM was having some financial difficulties in the early 2000s, pinching pennies eventually takes a toll on quality(i.e.plastic clutch pedal assembly, thinner unibodyish frames and lighter sheet metal etc)
Also, kind of same subject. I have noticed lots of substantially newer trucks(not just GM) with substantially more body rot than any of my 400 trucks have ever had.