Wipers are dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got the truck back on the road after a drivetrain overhaul and now the wipers don't work. Seems weird, the wipers were left untouched during the project...but anyway they don't work.

I like the think I'm pretty good with electrical, but this has me stumped. I've tested two switches and they are both fine. I am getting power at the wiper connector too...and the odd thing is one of the "ground" wires according to the diagram (center pin on the connector - black wire) has 12v with the key on.

I suppose the wiper motor could be bad...but it was fine before I started my engine/trans project and I never touched it.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Change the little computer board inside the wiper motor. Couple o' screws & a little more than $20. Don't even have to remove the wiper motor from the truck. Common to GM400's.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. Checked fuse and it is good. The wiring connector the wiper motor is also getting power.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Change the little computer board inside the wiper motor. Couple o' screws & a little more than $20. Don't even have to remove the wiper motor from the truck. Common to GM400's.

Interesting. Where do I find one?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Any parts store. That's how common this prob is. The board itself breaks due to the way that everything in the wiper system flexes. When you get it fixed, watch the way the motor twists & torques around on the firewall as it works.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Learn something every day on this site.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the circuit board looks fine...no cracks or metled solder, etc. but since it's so cheap I'm gonna buy one and swap it anyway. I got the washer pump to spray by playing with the pins on the board, but still no wipers.

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
try taping on it with the wipers on, if it makes them work you know you got it, is a very common problem though