92 k2500 wipers randomly died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceblixxart

Reaction score
Replaced the wiper motor like 8 mons ago. Now the wipers are totally dead, don't do anything. Thought it could be the ground but what are yoouu guys thinking woke up at 6am raining and found this out made me wanna fxcking scrap my rust free 6.5 out of sheer spite I've calmed down though lol thanks for reading

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Probably the solder connection inside the control box. Its a common and simple fix with a soldering iron. They just have to be heated back up to allow the solder to re-flow.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As RichLo said it's probably bad solder joints. The wiper motor circuit board is somewhat notorious for this and almost surely what was wrong with your original wiper motor. The solder joints that connect the harness socket to the circuit board are what fail; the one closest to the edge generally fails first and it's the ground. A simple re-touching of the solder on those joints (a little fresh solder helps get it going) fixes -most- of the wiper failures on these trucks. Disconnect the harness, three torx screws on the cover, circuit board pops out for the job, re-assemble.. takes less than 30 minutes from hood open to hood closed.

The only "gotcha" here is you say you replaced the motor not that long ago. With what.. a used one? Then yes, definitely the solder joints are the suspect. With a new one? Might just be crap quality of new parts. :(

Richard

iceblixxart

Reaction score
As RichLo said it's probably bad solder joints. The wiper motor circuit board is somewhat notorious for this and almost surely what was wrong with your original wiper motor. The solder joints that connect the harness socket to the circuit board are what fail; the one closest to the edge generally fails first and it's the ground. A simple re-touching of the solder on those joints (a little fresh solder helps get it going) fixes -most- of the wiper failures on these trucks. Disconnect the harness, three torx screws on the cover, circuit board pops out for the job, re-assemble.. takes less than 30 minutes from hood open to hood closed.

The only "gotcha" here is you say you replaced the motor not that long ago. With what.. a used one? Then yes, definitely the solder joints are the suspect. With a new one? Might just be crap quality of new parts. :(

Richard

Richard
It was a new motor, WAI global off rockauto.. def chinese.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Doesn't hurt to have a look inside it anyway. Probably not the solder joints on an 8 month old wiper motor, though. *** Before you open it up (it probably has a tamper-evident sticker) check with Rock; those motors have a 12 month warranty.

If you've still got your old one, it's very likely fixable.

Also would be a good idea to check all your under hood grounds. However, if you had a bad ground that made the wipers quit completely, I'd suspect you'd see other issues as well.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the wiper motor like 8 mons ago. Now the wipers are totally dead, don't do anything.
Yes, the wiper motor is suspect.

OTOH, given a new wiper motor, I'd be wondering about the steering-column switch and wire harness and such.

Download the service manual set for your vehicle, follow the diagnostic procedure.