95 K2500 stumbles/sometimes dies under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon_Lutz

Reaction score
Update time:
Took a look at the distributor as I had the cap off yesterday swapping out the ICM and the rotor. The magnet does not appear to be cracked and looks good. Rotor had some mild corrosion on it so I swapped it out along with the ICM. I also replaced the cap with a new one I had sitting in the shop. Other than the truck cranking a little better the issue is still present, just not as bad. Waiting for my timing light to come in and I'll check timing this weekend on it to make sure it is still correct.

I have a plan to install my shorty headers soon, so I might as well change the plugs and wires while I do that. If the plugs and wires don't fix it, then I have no clue what else to check other than maybe the PCM is going out or I need to take my TB apart again and change out the spring in the regulator. I put the factory one back in when I rebuilt the TBI as it looked to be in good condition.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you try a different egr? Maybe put your old one back in, see if it still stumbles.
the new one might not be working correctly.

the CTS can cause weird things, is yours original?

i assume it ran fine after your rebuild of the TBI unit?

these issues are a ***** for sure, maybe time to invest in a scanner.

Brandon_Lutz

Reaction score
Did you try a different egr? Maybe put your old one back in, see if it still stumbles.
the new one might not be working correctly.

the CTS can cause weird things, is yours original?

i assume it ran fine after your rebuild of the TBI unit?

these issues are a ***** for sure, maybe time to invest in a scanner.
Didn't try a another EGR yet. The old one was pretty clogged and was the factory original, so I tossed it after I changed it.

CTS on top of the manifold may be original, I don't know. I have not had any issues with temps so I have not had to change it yet. Cheap enough to replace so I can pick one up tomorrow.
CTS on the side of the motor has been changed as of last year. The old one quit responding and when I went to replace it I discovered the wire harness had broke. So I fixed the harness and replaced the sensor anyway.
TBI rebuild was done after these symptoms started. I though for sure the FPR was failing as it had never been rebuilt and when I pulled it apart it definitely needed to be fixed. I thought for sure that was it.

I'm going to check the timing tomorrow when my timing light comes in so I will see what is up there.

Brandon_Lutz

Reaction score
Well got the issue fixed. The timing was off. It was a bit retarded. Reset it back to zero with the computer wire disconnected after letting it come up to temp. Immediately idled better (which was impressive as it was already idling pretty good). After that, hooked up the pcm wire again after I reset the PCM by pulling power for 30 minutes. Then took it for a drive. Truck didn't stumble and even shifts better now. I got on it a few times and it did not fall on it's face like has been lately.

Last edited: