Why are expensive hand tools better than cheaper ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we ordered the tools for the tool boxes in our Air Force shop, I specified Snap-On Flank Drive wrenches. I've used a lot of wrenches, but the Flank Drives are one place that Snap On still rules. I have a set of the metrics in my home box, and if I did more vintage work, I'd consider a set of the SAE. They don't flex and round off the nut. The ridges on the inside of the wrenches definitely do a better job of holding the nuts. The only damage I've done to mine are arc spots on the 13mm. Then again, I just priced them out - I paid $150 for my set twenty years ago. I definitely wouldn't pay the $450 they want for them now.

Knipex pliers are worth the money. All those places, like A/C lines, where you need a crazy big wrench, but don't have one? Grab the Knipexes Cobra Grip pliers. I've tried the generics, and they can't handle the same torque.

I do have a handful of Snap-On screwdrivers, but I'll walk right past them to get my $5 Harbor Freight screwdriver. It just works. The stubby version is just as good.

Same for the standard HF ratchets and sockets. They're good stuff. I do like Snap-On's 1/4" stubby ratchet, but it's now priced out of sight.

I used to like Snap-On's 1/4" drive metric impact wobble sockets, but the cheap ones are good enough now, and way more affordable.
www.amazon.com/Cal-Hawk-Tools-BISU122M-Universal/dp/B004BCWZ38/

Hammers? Regular and needle-noses pliers? Cheap works great.

Wire crimpers/strippers? The parts store cheapies are garbage. They don't close well enough to strip or cut wire and have bad side-to-side flimsiness. Step up to mid-grade stuff. Same for weatherpak-style crimpers. Get something mid-grade.

The Fluke 101 is under $50 on Amazon. That competes with even the cheap meters.

Battery powered tools are another thing altogether. The cheap stuff is just junk. I'd like to switch to Makita, but I keep spending my money on other stupid stuff. If my last Ryobi tool dies, I'm gonna rack up a bill at the Makita store. I wouldn't turn my nose up at DeWalt - we use them at the track and they hold up decently.

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Battery powered tools are another thing altogether. The cheap stuff is just junk. I'd like to switch to Makita, but I keep spending my money on other stupid stuff. If my last Ryobi tool dies, I'm gonna rack up a bill at the Makita store. I wouldn't turn my nose up at DeWalt - we use them at the track and they hold up decently.
When I was installing elevators, I bumped my Makita impact gun off the top frame and down she went... falling 5 floors before smashing on solid concrete. I went down, picked up all the broken plastic pieces, and the damn thing still worked. The outside of the impact gun was a hard plastic that had shattered, but left the internal metal body completely free of damage. Almost like crush zones on cars, it seemed to protect the gun. Sure looked ugly after that, but I used it for 5-6 more years before I forgot it at a junkyard.

I definitely think you get your money's worth when it comes to things like battery powered and air tools.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid $150 for my set twenty years ago. I definitely wouldn't pay the $450 they want for them now.
Yeah, Snappy can get pricey! My son uses them all the time and says if he can save 30 seconds here and there he can justify buying them but, he gets paid clock hours (by the job). He can usually clock 80 hours a week working 5 days, ha ha.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With hammers, chisels, and other striking tools, again I like to buy nice tools. Cheap hammers and chisels bounce around instead of transferring the blow. Fracture or chip and can be quite unsafe.

Body hammers and dollies- I have a bunch but my go to stuff are Martin tools. They don't sound like a bell ringing when your striking like the cheap crap does.

Like my Snap-on chisels and punches over others that I have.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other things that you guys are missing is convenience, almost instant warranty and payments for professionals that see a tool truck every week. The truck comes to their workplace and they make $50 a week payments. Ony your credit card will let you do the same. Warranty of a tool is 99% of the time step on with a broken tool and step off with a new tool. Online purchases can't compete with that.

Obviously none of that has anything to do with quality but it does have to do with customer service.

I'm not a Snap On fan boy but a fair amount of my work tools are Snap On and that is because Craftsman went to crap. I also have the above mentioned Fluke 101, I love Duralast impact wobbles, I reach for my Harbor Freight flex ratcheting wrenches all of the time and I recently gave away a Matco ratchet that I'd used maybe 3 times because I didn't like it.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Well Snap on never gave us exchanges on the spot. in the AF we had to give it to the Rep and then we would get mailed the replacements . and half of them would be "refurbs" and not new. Ive also never been in a spot where a snap on tool saved me anytime. Most of the tooling i do is on my vehicles and usually im buying parts from Autozone so the duralasts are king in my opinion for the weekend mechanic

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all been covered, durability is the biggest thing for me. I've switched over to Milwaukee for everything because I kept stripping gears on my Porter Cable stuff. Buy once cry once definitely applies to tools.

haroldwca

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with Mr. Yukon. It seems as though much of this discussion is Snap-On / financed tool truck tools or Harbor Freight. When it comes to hand tools, I buy Craftsman, Kobalt, or the like. I'm not a career mechanic, but I am what you might call an extreme DIYer. It means that I need my tools to work when I need them, too. And I DO use the heck out of them - from my sockets, to my engine hoist, to my TIG welder. The greatest advantage Snap-On hand tools have over what I use is that you can buy from the tool truck with no money. The tool trucks allow a young mechanic with no money or tools to stock his tool box (also financed) with all the tools he needs to start working. Then he pays for them for the next several years, while racking up more financed purchases every time the truck shows up. It's an addiction for some.

If you've done well in life, and you know a young kid who's about to start a career as a mechanic, do him the biggest favor you can. Buy him as many good tools as you can afford and a box to put them in, and teach him not to become addicted to the finance truck.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've done well in life, and you know a young kid who's about to start a career as a mechanic, do him the biggest favor you can. Buy him as many good tools as you can afford and a box to put them in, and teach him not to become addicted to the finance truck.
That's a good point, when my son graduated Wyotech, Snapon gave all students a 50% off their tool. We bought their "starter set" for $5K and I went to Sears and bought him a "Professional" rolling cabinet because, Snappy was too expensive. I figured, he could get the top box when he out grew the cabinet. The only issue was Craftsman discontinued that line. So he gave the box back and got his own Snappy cabinet. He now has a Snap On credit card and gets a discount with all warranty returns on the spot.

Here's the box I bought him (don't mind the Yota sticker)
You must be registered for see images attach

Note: We did have to bail him out ~10 years ago. He fell into that trap and was a couple grand in the hole but is doing much better now :waytogo: