Why are expensive hand tools better than cheaper ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warranties don't mean crap to me. Tool reliability does.

I learned a hard lesson with my Mustang. I had popping noises in the front end, and every time I took it to the dealership they claimed they couldn't duplicate it. As soon as it was out of warranty they could hear it and wanted $1800 to replace the front struts, strut mounts, and front tires.

Whether it's the vehicle or the tools, the factory warranty is only as good as the intermediary you're required to work through. Ford's dirtbag dealers make their warranty worthless to me. Same for Snap-On's warranty, but in this case I blame the tool guy less than I blame Snap-On's sales model that victimizes their tool dealers.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck with OTC. OTC is a four-letter word to me.

I made a warranty claim on a hydraulic jack about four years ago. The warranty claim was APPROVED. They sent a freight company to pick-up my broken jack; promised me a low-profile replacement (OTC 5200). Offered to give me a cheap-junk Chinese "temporary" jack, (which I declined) as the low-profile unit was out-of-stock with more available in " a month or so".

I have yet to see the replacement jack that I was promised. I've been waiting since...2018.

OTC is a bunch of liars, crooks, and thieves. Total dirtbags. APPARENTLY this began with the Bosch take-over.

I finally figured-out that they are never going to re-stock the low-profile jack; the "temporary" cheap-junk jack was always intended to be the "replacement" unit--they were just lying to me about the 5200 so I'd accept the "temporary" junk jack.
I bought a drum brake tool kit from them. Its not Bad.. but its not exceptionally good either. It was on the cheaper end so I wasnt hosed but I was more upset they sent it in such a large plastic push into the molds interference fit construction. Id rather have the same tools, if in a kit, position so it doesnt take up so much room.. they dont have to be held tight either, they are all metal and could fit partially loose to still work... ****, a leather roll would work better. or fabric since they do that now.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Warranties don't mean crap to me. Tool reliability does.

I learned a hard lesson with my Mustang. I had popping noises in the front end, and every time I took it to the dealership they claimed they couldn't duplicate it. As soon as it was out of warranty they could hear it and wanted $1800 to replace the front struts, strut mounts, and front tires.

Whether it's the vehicle or the tools, the factory warranty is only as good as the intermediary you're required to work through. Ford's dirtbag dealers make their warranty worthless to me. Same for Snap-On's warranty, but in this case I blame the tool guy less than I blame Snap-On's sales model that victimizes their tool dealers.
oh god dealers. my moms equinox had the engine tore down and the rings replaced as part of a settlement thing for Ecoshits and their derivatives. They put it back together, with every clip, bolt, screw, retainer, etc in the engine bay not done proper... the fuel line has a clip that hooks into the line sorta, and they only snagged one tooth... dont know how they ****** that up..

The oil also looks great and its been 2000 miles, this things got to be running rich or control rings arent doing so hot... that **** was black but everythings gasy smelling, teh exhaust the oil etc. Then I saw the belt was worn bad on half of it, and its clearly not holding tension right. Slapping a round a tiny bit. Then look at spinning stuffs while looking at it from dead on, whatever is on top in the center(down low, hard to tell) is flopping like a flonger. Water pump or tensioner my guess. But not the pulley, the thing thats flopping.

Air box wasnt secured in all places, the plastics on the air duct thing are getting stressed and the screws on the rubber part were lose.

oh and just to top it off, this car is a pile and it was always one, the wiring is flimsy and cracking and the rubber parts all look worse than my 1990 oldsmobile which is been sitting with the hood off for 5 years and 3 years outside in the weather. most of that original. Some replacement, still!
5 years ago that equinox was 20k miles and 5 years old.

God.

Just the fact the dealer did the work to put it backtogether skipped more steps on just what i can visually see in 5 minutrs than i have fingers to count.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was an intern at the Nissan dealership, I worked with each of the technicians for a few months. One guy was known for being an exceptionally fast worker. He was pretty good that his work rarely came back, but he would routinely crossthread bolts all the way down and throw "extra" clips in the trash.

The best technician I worked with put everything correctly in place, but he pounded coffee all day long to stay motivated and energetic. He was top of the field; he flew to Tokyo and won Nissan's international technician competition. He was excited when he finally made over $50,000 in a year. That's when I recognized I didn't want to stay in that field. I went to work for a military contractor and made that much after just a couple years.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was an intern at the Nissan dealership, I worked with each of the technicians for a few months. One guy was known for being an exceptionally fast worker. He was pretty good that his work rarely came back, but he would routinely crossthread bolts all the way down and throw "extra" clips in the trash.

The best technician I worked with put everything correctly in place, but he pounded coffee all day long to stay motivated and energetic. He was top of the field; he flew to Tokyo and won Nissan's international technician competition. He was excited when he finally made over $50,000 in a year. That's when I recognized I didn't want to stay in that field. I went to work for a military contractor and made that much after just a couple years.
Well, ya know the old saying. Crossthread beats a .. I would have to say the dealership on the whole was lucky his work rarely came back, because you wouldn't want to work on it again. I once had some warranty (recall) work done on my 300 that was performed so poorly I never went back, just fixed it correctly on my own so that I wouldn't have those jerks touch my car again.

Sad to hear about the guy who did good work and busted his ass for years to finally reach the $50K mark. You didn't say specifically, but I'm guessing his billable hour output was lower than the crossthread artist. Lots of choices to make out there in the working class world; I used to make good money without ever getting dirty (IT career 17 years) but it had its own share of insufferable BS. I'm doing fine now with more physical work but it's hazard pay, to be sure.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I once had some warranty (recall) work done on my 300 that was performed so poorly I never went back, just fixed it correctly on my own so that I wouldn't have those jerks touch my car again.

I know I've told this story here in the past somewhere, but my real "paying dealership prices does not equal better service" wake-up call stemmed from an exhaust issue on my red truck. I had replaced the entire system with shorty headers, Magnaflow cat/Y-pipe and Gibson cat-back at my usual shop. It was working fine, but I decided to go with copper header gaskets and unfortunately one of them developed a leak that tightening the bolts wasn't solving. So I decided to take it to a GM dealer to have that gasket replaced with a standard one. The dealer was much closer than my usual mechanic, and I figured they couldn't possibly have much difficulty with the job. Apparently I was wrong. They gave my truck back to me at the end of the day with my new exhaust literally laying on the frame, rattling all over the place, and told me "sorry, that's the best we can do, your fault for using aftermarket parts."

I paid my bill, took the truck back to my regular mechanic (who fixed all their mistakes and charged me nothing), and vowed never to go back to a dealer again if I could help it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear about the guy who did good work and busted his ass for years to finally reach the $50K mark.
He owns his own shop now and from what I've heard, is doing much better on his own. When friends and coworkers on that side of town ask me what shop I recommend, I send them to him. The ones that take my advice absolutely love him.

grey wolf

Reaction score
He owns his own shop now and from what I've heard, is doing much better on his own. When friends and coworkers on that side of town ask me what shop I recommend, I send them to him. The ones that take my advice absolutely love him.
That's awesome! Glad to hear there are still techs out there doing good work. It's damn near impossible for people like that to make a living on flat rate, especially at the dealers where most of the work is warranty, and the labour times are constantly being cut. Meanwhile guys like the cross threader are looked at like heroes by the management...