Why are expensive hand tools better than cheaper ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why are expensive hand tools "better" than cheaper ones?
Real question here. Not judging what other people buy, just genuinely curious. School me!

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I have been wrenching for over 20+ years using Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh, not Icon) hand tools. Professionally, I was an elevator technician for 6 years, and Vail Resorts lift maintenance for 4 years - we used a lot of hand tools, and lifts are not built with small nuts and bolts. Due to neglect, I've broken a total of 2 sockets (chrome sockets on impact gun), and 1 ratchet (don't use a 1/4" ratchet in place of a serpentine tool). In both instances, I just grabbed another tool and finished the job up, then went to HF and got myself a free replacement. HF has treated me well, but I know everyone has different needs, so I ask thee.... If both tools hold up, and both tools have a lifetime warranty, why buy that $300 ratchet and not the $30 one?

umwtnt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me it's about how they feel. A snap on wrench feels good in my hands but are to expensive for my wallet. I always purchased used snap on wrenches and that's how I built up my wrenches. I always purchased snap on or matco sockets because they would hold up to the abuse and when I broke them the warranty was nice. Now days everyone has the same warranty so I'm not sure it makes any difference. I have also purchased a lot of cheap tools but knew I could not abuse them, I also used cheap tools to cut up or bent them to fit whatever situation I was in. I remember cutting down a 1 5/16 wrench and my helper about ****. I explained to him that's why it was purchased, to cut up. I was a heavy equipment and truck mechanic for 47 years. My son now has most of my tools and appreciates how the snap on wrenches feel but has no feedback about the other tools. The one thing I never did to was to purchase a snap on box. Way to expensive and not worth the money in my opinion. Once again, I always purchased used boxes as I expanded my tools and had more money to purchase more tools as I wasn't spending $5000 to buy a box. Just my opinion.

Dnytro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The really cheap tools at harbor freight aren’t always accurate. If u buy a ratchet or wrench or hammer or power tool it’s usually fine but the smaller “mechanic sets” of 3/8 ratchet and some sockets I’ve found to not be any better than stuff from the 99 cent store lol you can physically see the difference-the bigger sets are usually pretty nice but cost the same as a craftsmen set

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Metallurgy.

Cheap tools are cheap cast pot-steel, huge grain size, lots of flex and breaks easily. High quality tools are forged, chromoly, strong, accurate, etc.

Cheap tools may get small projects done like changing an alternator but once you take a hammer to it or stick a pipe on it, good luck.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The biggest advantage cheap vs expensive tools. The cheap ass one rounds off that crusted up nut making a mess, the chances are better with the better fitting socket, wrench etc. Most of the big name tool trucks have stuff you can't get anywhere else that comes in handy. Thinwall sockets, 3/4 length sockets, obstruction wrenches, etc.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Cheap tools can be larger to make up for good metallurgy, and the larger tool may have clearance issues. Also precision in manufacturing. I have the HF serpentine belt tool, and it's still hard to change the belt on my Saturn becasue there is so much slop in the tool.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I think it really depends on what you are working on.

You need to look at how often you use the tool. One time use? Get the cheap one. The more often you use the tool the more sense it makes to spend more on a quality tool.

The entry level 5 million piece socket sets aren't worth the plastic blow mold case they come in.

If what you are working on needs a special tool, you are better off with a name brand. You don't want a cheap tool breaking and hurting (or worse!) you.

The Pittsburgh stuff is fine for almost everything except for really heavy (ball joint press)or precision work (micrometers).
It is fine for people working on their own stuff. My favorite ratchet is my Pittsburgh double flex handle 3/8 drive.

The Icon branded stuff is a better fit for people using their tools for a living. Replacing a broken tool in the middle of a repair REALLY cuts into your flat rate time!

The higher build quality/precision of Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell, and etc. Can speed up jobs enough to make a big difference in your bottom line.

Last edited:

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
So heres my 2 cents. I was in the AF for 10 years and been a mechanic my whole life. ive used every tool brand that i can think of.

I usually buy a mid grade tool brand and have never had a issue with them. harbor frieght can be good for the weekend warrior or lighter jobs. if you need it for a living buy a mid grade (tekton,kobalt, even the Duralast ect...) there is absolutly zero reason a snap on is good for anything other than accumalating debt. is it a good tool ? yes but for the money NO. in the AF we had a running joke about Snap on breaker bars breaking at the ujoint we named it Snap=Off in TCmax . and had a offbrand breaker bar that never broke in that time frame. granted we were using it to break the tourqe on a 300 pound tourqed axle nut but still. I own various tools and the snap on has never been worth the money IMO.